What's new

I am sick of my Sony 4es remote.... (1 Viewer)

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
What should I get to replace it? I want to keep it under $100. Some buttons stopped working on it- is my 5 year warranty good for the remote too? Thx

Jason F.

Stunt Coordinator
MX-500!!! I bought one off ebay for 100 bucks shipped!! And it has been one of the best HT purchases I have ever made. It's so easy my wife can use it!! :D

BTW-This will probably be move to the Accessories section.

HaryR

Grip
Josh,

I have 4ES too and I was getting really pissed off with that sucky remote! I bought a Radio shack RS2116 ($30) and it works perfectly. The only thing is that you have to program it thru a JP-1 cable connecting to the parallel port of your computer, because the codes for the sony receivers are not programmed in the remote yet.

I could do it (for free of course) for you if you want, but after August 11th which is the date when I come back from my vacations!

Please let me know,

Hary

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Yes the warranty should cover the remote as well, as long as it hasn't been obviously abused. Even if you are planning on replacing it with a different universal remote, you should still get it replaced/fixed under warranty. You may need it to 'teach' the new remote, or you could use it for a 2nd zone.

Ryan S.S.

Auditioning
My reciever came with the MX-500 and I am extremely happy with it. great combo between a hard button and a lcd remote. Easy to use and easy to program. it retails for 175 but you can probably find it for around 100

JamesCB

Second Unit
Is that remote with the 4ES the same as the one I have? I have the V333ES. The remote with the LCD display window, rocker-type select button, and flip-down thingy with buttons underneath it? I didn't really like it at first, but I learned you just need a little patience with it. I like it because it controls all th vital functions plus all the functions for my TV (also a Sony). I use a Home Theater Master most of the time, but I keep that one handy still because I haven't programmed all the functions into my new one yet.

Josh Wolfman

Stunt Coordinator
Hary,

That sounds like a great offer and I might take you up on it! I will get my remote fixed under warranty and get the radio shack remote UNLESS the MX500 is that much better. What are the cons of that $30 radio shack remote? Are there any functions it can't perform? Thx

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Maybe you guys can help me out -

Is there a remote out there that can be progammed to issue macros whe the reciever function is changed? Basically I would rather not route video signals thru the reciever and since my TV has 7 inputs I really don't have to. So what I want to do is when I hit "DVD" on the remote have the remote also tell the TV to switch to Video 5 (for example). The TV is a Sony 32HS500 and I know it has discrete video input commands so this should be possible.

Actually I kind of like some things about the 4ES remote. I like how you can label each input - so it says "Gamecube" instead of "Video 1". And I like how you can edit the function list so inputs I don't use are not listed. If sony had just put a number pad on the thing I think it would have been a great remote!

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mark

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
So what I want to do is when I hit "DVD" on the remote have the remote also tell the TV to switch to Video 5 (for example).
I accomplished this with a macro on my MX-700. My TV remote has buttons for each input vs. 1 button that scrolls through them all. This makes it easy since I don't have to figure the codes for each input or come up with with some fancy macro programming. I simply learned each input from the TV remote and put them in macros to accomplish both switching tasks with 1 button.

MikeMcGrew

Stunt Coordinator
Home Theater Master MX 500!!! It is, hands down, the best $120.00 I have ever spent on my HT. I have the DA4ES and I love the receiver, HATE the remote. The MX 500 can do just about anything you need it too for your HT. You can assign macros to just about all of your buttons if you want. I hold down my "TV" button for one second and I am up and running, receiver and all. It took me an hour to setup six components and learn all the keys I needed for each remote. The "favorite channel" option is totally cool too. You can program up to fifty of your favorite channels and name them accordingly. There isn't a button that you can't rename, at lease I haven't found one yet. I love this thing! Home Theater Master has a whole line of killer remotes. There are several out there much more expensive than this one and much more complex. It's a whole new hobby but I wasn't interested in all of that. I just wanted someting versatile and something the kid and the old lady could operate. I have honestly put all of my remotes in a box and not seen them in over six months. Do yourselves a favor and check out this remote. MM

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
Just to add to McGrew's spew.......

Before I moved "up" to the 700, I had an expertly programmed Pronto. After using the 700, I consider the Pronto to be very stylish and capable but definitely nothing special. Maybe, I just found out I was a button remote kind of guy.

Ray Kerr

Grip
I agree with Bill D... 'Cept I have the MX-500. I have two VERY important (at least according to my daughter) macros... DVD and SAT. No more figuring out which button on the HDTV to push or which source for the receiver... just one button and we're all happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks