What's new

I Am Sam! (1 Viewer)

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
I just watched the trailer for this movie starring Sean Penn, Michelle Pfeiffer and a new young actress named Dakota Manning.
This movie looks to be DAMN good! I've never been a big fan of either Penn ofr Pfeiffer, but I think I may have to go see this movie.
It sorta reminds me of Rain Man - All growed up!
Troy
I Am Sam trailer

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
The general consensus from critics is that Penn will receive a Best Actor nod for his work in "I Am Sam". Pfeiffer could also end up with a nod as well. I also took a look at the trailer and the movie does look really good.

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator
Are you guys kidding?
When I saw the I Am Sam trailer a few weeks ago I was laughing - and not in a good way. To me it looks like the most manipulative, maudlin, insincere, crappy-crap-crap Oscar-bait of the season! I think Sean Penn is flat-out brilliant, and not only would I still happily jump Michelle Pfeiffer's bones, I think she's underrated as a thespian. BUT, this movie looks just plain awful and shameless. I Am Sam is marketed toward people who find NBC's "Providence" and the WB's "7th Heaven" a little too dark and edgy. I hope it's as good as Patch Adams!
Anyway, enjoy it, fellas.
puke.gif

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm kinda with Holden on this one. The Academy loves to give out awards to actors who play characters with some kind of disability, and this looks like Sean Penn's attempt to snag one. Penn is a great actor, and arguably should have won for Dead Man Walking, but this is a little disappointing.
As for the subject matter - I dunno, looks more like fodder for an episode of "The Practice" than a must-see movie.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
I saw this trailer too and while I believe you can never predict a movie's quality from the trailer, I did think that Dakota Fanning looks like an engaging little actor. Might be worth checking out.

Rob

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading a report that the crew burst into tears during some of Penn's more emotional scenes. I haven't seen the trailer, but I know that trailers rarely reflect the mood, or overall quality of a film. They're usually constructed to rope in the most viewers. I bet this one'll be a cracker.... Sean Penn is the greatest actor alive today!

Dave White

Auditioning
I'll line up right alongside everyone praising Penn's talent, but I doubt I'll see this movie. Watching the trailer was about as much fun as pokng myself in the eye with a fork...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks