What's new

i am sam Soundtrack (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think I might pick this up since I'm a pretty big Beatles fan. How are the covers? What are your opinions on it? Thanks.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I heard 4 tracks today while puttering around Virgin:

- Blackbird by Sarah MacLachlan. I can't be objective, she bugs the shit outa me.

- You've Got to Hide Your Love Away by Eddie Vedder. Gotta love Eddie. I liked his take on this song, a rather affectionate tribute, I thought.

- Accross the Universe by Rufus Wainwright. A good fit, actually. Rufus does a nice job of it.

- Strawberry Fields Forever, don't know who it was. Not very inspired, pretty much a knock off of the original. With a song like this, there is little point in even bothering.

Hope that helps a bit.

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
One thing that I read or heard was that all of the songs are done at the same tempo as the originals. This was so they would fit into the film, replacing the originals which were used during editing.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Picked this up tonight. Here's the tracklisting:

1. Aimee Mann and Michael Penn "Two of Us"
  2. Sarah McLachlan "Blackbird"
  3. Rufus Wainwright "Across the Universe"
  4. The Wallflowers "I'm Looking Through You"
  5. Eddie Vedder "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away"
  6. Ben Harper "Strawberry Fields Forever"
  7. Sheryl Crow "Mother Nature's Son"
  8. Ben Folds "Golden Slumbers"
  9. The Vines "I'm Only Sleeping"
  10. Stereophonics "Don't Let Me Down"
  11. The Black Crowes "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds"
  12. Chocolate Genius "Julia"
  13. Heather Nova "We Can Work It Out"
  14. Howie Day "Help!"
  15. Paul Westerberg "Nowhere Man"
  16. Grandaddy "Revolution"
  17. Nick Cave "Let It Be"[/list=1]

Haven't really sat down and listened to it yet, but just scanning through it, the songs are pretty faithful to the originals in most respects. Mostly mellow and acoustic.

The Aimee Mann/Michael Penn and Stereophonics tracks really jumped out at me immediately (first time I've heard Stereophonics). I like the McLachlan, Wainwright, and Heather Nova tracks as well. From one listen, I thought Ben Harper did a fine job with Strawberry Fields Forever. According to the liner notes, Eddie Vedder played every instrument in his version of "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away": Vocals, acoustic guitar, Hofner bass, tambourine, snare drum, shakers, and harmonica.

Seems like a great soundtrack so far, although it will take me a few more listens to make a final decision.

-mwb-

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
the songs are pretty faithful to the originals in most respects.
I believe they had to be in the same tempo as the originals, since the film had been edited using the original tracks and they wanted to "drop" the new tracks in with little fuss. That's what I read somewhere; I don't know how much truth there is to it.

Derek Miner

Screenwriter
Yeah, all these songs are about the same tempo as the originals. A few artists stick slavishly to the source (Michael Penn & Aimee Mann, The Black Crowes) and others find a way to work around that limitation and make it different (Howie Day, Grandaddy).

This is a pleasant disc to listen to, but nothing amazing. I liked Eddie Vedder changing the woodwind part at the end of "You've Got To Hide Your Love Away" to harmonica - it really plays up the Dylan influnce on Lennon at that time. Chocolate Genius did an interesting reinterpretation of "Julia."

I didn't really like Rufus Wainwright's take on "Across the Universe" - I much prefer Fiona Apple's version from Pleasantville. Unfortunately, I found Paul Westerberg's version of "Nowhere Man" painful.

Those are my strongest feelings on the tracks.

RicP

Screenwriter
What about Nick Cave's "lounge lizard" take on "Let it be"? Yikes! I thought I was listening to a bad SNL skit.

Also does anyone else find Heather Nova's inflections really annoying?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I didn't really like Rufus Wainwright's take on "Across the Universe" - I much prefer Fiona Apple's version from Pleasantville.
I thought I was the only one. I don't mind the Wainwright version, but I think Fiona's is great!

I can't even LISTEN to Westerberg's version of "Nowhere Man".

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I love the covers of "Got to Hide Your Love Away", "I'm Only Sleeping", "Two of Us", and "Across the Universe".

BTW, "Across the Universe" sounds so sad for some reason. I don't know why...

:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks