What's new

I am one component input short. Is this a good compromise? (urgent help needed)..... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I now have 4 pieces of gear that have component outputs: 1) Toshiba DVD player, 2) Comcast HD set top box, 3) XBOX w/ HD A/V Pack, and a newly acquired 4) Zenith HDV-420 OTA HD set top box. This leaves me one input short.

My problem is that I only 2 component inputs on the back of my Sony DA4ES, and 2 components on the back of my Panny 53WX42. Since I have been considering an upgrade to the Yamaha HTR-5790, I was thinking that I could run the XBOX through the Yamaha's video upconversion thereby freeing up a component input on the back of the TV to make room for the Zenith set top box. Of course, I'll have to buy the non-HD A/V Pack for the XBOX.

Considering that all of this works, will the game graphics take a major hit using the upconversion in the Yamaha? I consider all of this such a small sacrifice to shelling out $100 for a component switcher. Plus, I gain PL2x and YPAO w/ the new receiver.

How does this sound?... I am open to other cost effective suggestions that some of you might have. Thanks in advance.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
This seems like a good compromise. The only games you should see a huge hit in PQ are those that offer 720p gameplay. Also, you should be able to use any AV switch box for component switching, just use red for red, yellow for green, and white for blue. AV switchboxes sell for around $30 at radioshack, best buy, or any other decent electronics store. A "component video" switchbox is mechanicly the same thing and while it may offer greater bandwidth it's been stated on this forum several times that most people can't see ANY degredation in picture quality using the AV switch box.

Hope this helps :)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Wow, I had no idea that I could use a regular switchbox in place of a component video switchbox. This may be a better interim solution. Thanks Stephen.:emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You can use the RCA A/V 4-in-1 switchboxes found at Target or Wal-Mart for around $20.

If the switchbox isn't up to snuff, return it and look for a costlier solution.

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I wouldnt give up the HD pack on the XBOX, because even though they arent HD, most games are 480p and are gorgeous on an HDTV. I would recommend a switchbox for all the sources. I am about to pick up the pelican system selector pro. It has 7 component video inputs on it, as well as ethernet and optical audio switching on 3 of the inputs.

I am having to hook up my xbox, ps2, dvd player to my tv at the moment. And when I get the switch I will also need component for HD box from Time Warner, and component video for gamecube as well.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Thanks for the responses everyone. I know what I'm doing seems like a lazy approach, but I have been buying so much stuff lately, I cannot bring myself to invest in a even a modest component switcher right now. Gotta give the old CC a break.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Several people with multiple game systems have gone with the $24-$40 mechanical switcher from Radio Shack. Get the one for L/R/Video - all the connectors appear to be video compatible.

Because HD signals ARE sensitive to the connection, I would suggest:

- Direct-Connect your 2 HD box's to the TV
- Run the XBox & DVD player through the switch box

Good Luck

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
If I want a component switcher, I can just use the RCA jacks on my A/V receiver, right?

I'll be using a PS2 and progressive DVD player for a 960x540 LCD projector on a 90" screen. Should I expect any degradation in picture quality?

~T

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Kevin, I'm curious, why do you need a cable HD box AND the Zenith HD-OTA tuner? Doesn't your HD cable box allow you to hook up, and tune in, your OTA antenna? Anyway, that's how my Dish 811 HD receiver works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks