What's new

I am new to the home theater forum (1 Viewer)

CELTICSHRT

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a panosonic TH-50PZ800U 50" Plasma HDTV, and a panosonic SCBT100 BLU-RAY DVD Home Theater System, I have very little knowledge on hooking this up, I have a comcast cable DVR box now i hear alot about the quality of HDMI cable i should use can someone please give me some help on how to hook this up and what cables i should use, I do have 1 optical cable and a few HDMI cables not sure what kind they are, any help would be greatly appreciated
thanks
Jim

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After doing a quick look up of your HTiB (SCBT100), I did not see any HDMI inputs. I suggest you plug your SCBT100 into your TV using a decent HDMI cable. Then plug your DVR into your TV with HDMI and run a separate digital cable (either optical or coax) to your SCBT100. This will allow you to watch TV with or without the SCBT100.

Check out Monoprice.com or Blue Jeans Cables for quality cables. Do not overspend on them. The sales folks will try to sell you very expensive cables. They will tell you that you need them. It is not true.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Jim.

David gave some great advice - but you did not say your DVD is a high-def cable box. Only high def cable box's have HDMI outputs. I strongly recommend you upgrade as we could not live without being able to pause/rewind.

See if your TV has optical out and can feed the DVR sound back to the panasonic 'system'. Every HDTV show gives you 5.1 sound - so you really want the option to watch HDTV with all those speakers.

CELTICSHRT

Auditioning
Real Name
Jim
Bob,
yes the DVR is High Def, and i would definitely want to have the surround sound all the time, I am really not that good with this stuff. do i keep all the same hook ups that dave referred too, can you be more specific on where to hook everything up
Thanks
Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wilsonvn
Recent bookmarks