I am moving and I need a new Big Screen, any recomendations?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Youssef, Jul 31, 2004.

1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

Hi everyone. I am finally going to be moving into our first home and I need to upgrade my tv. I have a 46 inch Mits. HDTV but I think its too small to keep in the family room.

The distance from the coach to the tv is going to be 20 feet. I am looking for a tv that has an outstanding picture and color as well. I will be watching dvd's about 90% of the time. I would also like to keep the price of the tv under $2500. Thanks for the help guys.

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

20 feet back for under 2,500?

Front Projector or a 65" Mits would do the trick. Any smaller and it will seem really really tiny. I'm 10 feet back from my 55" and it's just right.

3. Steven.W.T

Steven.W.T Stunt Coordinator

Yeah 20 ft back seems kinda far to me. I have a 57 and I am sitting about 12 ft away and its fine.

I suggest the new Hitachi models. 57F510 retails for 1999.99 or you can go UltraVision, 57S715 for 2499.99. Which means you could probably get it for cheaper.

4. Youssef

well thanks for the suggestions guys. I suppose i could increase the spending limit to about $3,000. I also really don't mind the 28" depth of the tv b/c it is going to be placed inside the wall where theres a cut out of 26" deep. So do you think a DLP would be a good choice for the money or would a traditional big screen be a better bet? Remember that my #1 concern is how good the picture is for DVD's.

5. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

A DLP for $3k will net you a 50" at best. That is too small for that far back. Personally for size and picture quality(black level especially), It is extremely hard to beat a solid 65" CRT RPTV. I'd consider Mits, Hitachi and Pioneer Elite/Pioneer. You can't go wrong here.

6. Youssef

thanks for all the input fellas. i will keep you posted on what choices i narrow it down to.