I am making my first "real" ht speaker purchase soon, tell me what you think!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by james e m, Dec 7, 2001.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I am about to make the trek over to the great white north to go buy some Paradigm speakers from Live Wire Audio. I plan on buying the CC-370 and 2 Mini Monitors, possibly 4, for the surrounds. The thing is if I end up getting the 4 Mini Monitors, I will only be able to use 2 of them until I upgrade to a 7.1 receiver in about a year. I'm assuming that won't make a difference. Eventually this is the speaker set up I plan on having for a NUMBER of years:

Monitor 11 (x 2)

Mini Monitors (x 4)

CC-370 (x 1)

SVS 20-39 (x 2)

I plan on buying next years version of the Onkyo 898 to power these bad boys, except for the SVS of course.

Is there anything I'm missing? Is there anything I should consider, or reconsider? Does this sound like a good solid set up that I will be able to get a lot of enjoyment out of?

james

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Sounds like a pretty darn good setup to me. Minis are great! I'm very happy with mine, though I am using them as mains with a sub. Why not just get 2 until you get the 7.1 receiver? I'm also looking at the 20-39 as my next sub. Good luck.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

If you plan on doing a lot of music listening without the SVS20-39s running, sounds great. If you are always planing on keeping the 20-39's going (which if crossed over properly I'd do) then I'd consider saving the cash and droping to the Monitor 7. Take that cash and put it towards that 7.1 reciever.

4. james e m

james e m Second Unit

John...Well I might be getting the extra pair of Mini Monitors as part of a Birthday/Christmas, so I can't really turn it down.

Dustin...You have a good point, I never thought of that. Thanks for the idea. Although I don't ususally use my sub when listening to music.

james

5. Marty M

Marty M Cinematographer

I have been a "happy camper" with Paradigm speakers for over 3 years. Instead of the 11's, I have 7's for my main speakers, but have Mini-Monitors for surrounds. I really like my set up.

My only suggestion is that if you don't need 4 Mini's now, use that money to upgrade your DVD player or invest in some good speaker cables. Although, if this is your only shot at going to Canada, you would save money by buying all 4 now. (This was written while the other replies were being written.)

Good luck and enjoy your Paradigms.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I'll be in Mi at X-mas, and I was thinking of making a trip up to Canada myself...

I wouldn't turn down a pair of Minis either.

I like the idea of stepping down to the 7s. I actually was going to suggest the same thing... The SVSs will provide more than enough bottom end coverage, and you would already likely crossover the 11s to match with the SVSs anyway, so...