I am making 15 pin high density plug to component for projectors

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DennisS, Jan 8, 2003.

1. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

I have made several of these and they sold quite fast.I am interested in anyone or feedback on this.This cable gives componentRGB to 15 pin sub connector found on most presentation projectors for a much better picture.These are apparently hard to get. Your thoughts appreciated
    Dennis

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Can you provide a bit more detail Dennis. Is this a cable that hooks up to your projector's component connectors (Y, Cr, Cb) and does the other end plug into a computer's analog (or digital) video port?

3. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

Hi Neil
    This connects from the 15 pin high density plug on nearly all presentation projectors.These are portable.Many are using this type for their hometheater setups.The problem is nearly all only use the S-Video connection to the projector.With this connection you plug into the 15 pin on the projector and get component leads out that can connect straight to your dvd.This gives a much better picture.The ones I have seen used so far tends to get rid of the green tinge also.These are to my knowledge are not available.I intend to sell worldwide these breakout cables.I will be looking also to agents for these.If anyone has an interest in these I can be contacted on the below address
    [email protected]
    regards
    Dennis

4. Scott McC.

Scott McC. Stunt Coordinator

by 15 pin, do you mean a D-sub? (i.e. analog out on a PC's videocard) How much are you selling them for, is there any D/A or A/D conversion involved?

5. Bill.P

Bill.P Extra

Dennis, are you claiming that your cable converts YPrPb component video into RGBHV (VGA)?
    Your description sounds like you are making a VGA breakout cable similar to this:
    [​IMG]
    (bluejeanscable.com photo credit)
    However a cable like that won't convert component video into RGBHV as found on a 'presentation' projector.
    Please explain.
    -Bill

6. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

Hi Bill and Scott
    This break out comes from the 15 pin plug on your normal run of the mill presentation projector ie NEClt150.This then breaks out into component that plugs directly into your DVD player.The component output is 3 cables on a Dvd player and you can wire the 15 pin to allow the projector to then acquire that component input
    thanks
    Dennis

7. WayneV

WayneV Auditioning

Hi Dennis,
    I saw your post and am presently considering a Mitsubishi XL1XU brand new to Canada just this month. I have downloaded the manual to it and learned that it will need a cable such as the one you describe. I understand that I should be able to get it from Mitsubishi. The only price I've been able to come up with so far is $45 in U.S. funds.
    So you think that this way of showing video is superior to the usual component to component set up or is the real difference mainly between s-video cords and component?
    By the way, what is your opinion on using these data projectors for home theatre use? I understand that Mitsubishi has some award-winning technology in their machines and I'm quite enthused about the
    possibility of owning one. I'll be trying a similar unit out this weekend, either the XD200U or the XL2U.
    Let me know what price I'd have to pay for a cable from you. I would just convert my Canadian funds to U.S. funds or your country's currency which I assume is Australia. Thanks Dennis.
    Wayne.

8. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

Hi Wayne
    These cables are only for component to 15 pin mini plug the same as on computers.If you have RCA TO RCA component thats the way to go but most projector in the presentation field have S-Video input and the 15 pin computer plug.The 15 pin input can be wired tho to input component into the projector.I am at the moment having a web page made so hopefully photos will be up soon as I do not know how to post pics
    I have a NEClt150 highly modified and completely happy with the picture.I am a home theater installer here in Adelaide Australia and I get to see a lot of imaging devices.I had early last year a barco 808 8 inch 3 gun projector and found my present setup about the same as the barco
    regards
    Dennis

9. WayneV

WayneV Auditioning

Thanks for your opinion on data vs. video projectors Dennis. You mention that your NEClt150 is highly modified. I found that to be interesting. Did you have to do anything super special to it or was it mainly a matter of using Avia or Video Essentials etc..? Also, did you venture into the service menu much? You find your data projector to be similar in quality to the Barco CRT with 8" guns? Wow. Maybe there's hope for me and my hunch that this Mitsubishi XL1XU is gonna be terrific.
    As for your modified cable, yes, I have found exactly what you're saying. I tried an Epson Powerlite 30c recently and it had a component to computer in cable which was way, way better than the s-vhs to s-vhs cable.
    I would be interested in a price quote from you on this cable and different lengths available. I'm assuming that since you're making them yourself, the length can be basically ordered according to my needs.
    Not all of the manufacturers include this cable with the projector and I've tried in local electronics/computer shops without any luck.
    Thanks Dennis.

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Excuse my ignorance but can I use this cable to connect from the video output of my computer (the 15 pin side) and connect the other end to my projector (component cable side)? Also, what is the allowable length limit of the cable?

11. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

Hi Wayne
    my Lt150 Nec has been quite extensively modified
    1: the light chamber inside has been blackened to stop any stray light from washing out image.It helps cut down flare.
    2: there is a clear segment on the color wheel this has been painted out with silver pen.This made quite a difference
    3: color correction filter added to front of the lens and again quite a difference reds look much more like red
    4: its a xga projector but I have constucted a hush box of clear 10mm acrylic and placed a cygnus depixelation lens on this.The hushbox silences the projector plus fliters the air fed to the projector.The cygnus cuts down on any jaggies on image and makes image more smoother like a crt.

Overall the image looks more 3d and better blacks
    Regards
    Dennis

12. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

Hi Wayne
    I am still experimenting with the adapter.I know it works well with current model mitsubishi so it should work with the new models coming out.Ofcourse if a projector has component in then thats the best way to go and you then dont need a breakout cable.I know my Nec works fine with this breakout cable.I tried severaL proxima's today and it didnt work.My tecky and myself are still trying to access that.It could be that the pinouts on the actual proxima's might not be connected inside the projector so the cable didnt work on them.I will have to look at their manuals to find out.
    yes the cables can be custom made lenghts which is great.I am just a little worried after today with the proxima's as wether other brands might not work as well.I havent given much thought to price yet but they are relatively cheap to make.
    Regards
    Dennis

13. DennisS

DennisS Auditioning

Hi Neil
    the cable lenght doesnt matter too much as long as you use good quality OFC cable.I am using Neotech at 10mtre or roughly 30 feet and picture is very good.I replaced the cheap cable tonight with the custom Neotech I made and it was hard to tell the difference.This is on a 8x6 feet srceen
    I cannot see why it would not work from your computer to component but again after seeing what happened withe the proxima's who nows.But it definetly is worth trying because if it works you have a better pic for a relatively small gamble.IF anyone wants a pic of the break out cable just email me and I will email the pic
    Regards
    Dennis

14. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

Is this just a break-out cable, or a transcoder?

Component has a luminence/sync cable, and two color difference channels.

You can't feed that into an input that takes RGB+HV unless the projector (which some are, and vice-vera) is capable of taking a component signal (but not a physical component connection.) There are also transcoders which supply the eletronics to reformat the signal.

Either way this already exists, but a high-quality and reasonably priced addition to the market would be cool. The transcoders are especially pricey and relatively few companies make them (Audio Authority is one.)

I have a breakout cable I bought from Better Cables that connects my Iscan d-sub 15-pin output to my HDTV. The Iscan, of course, has a switch to toggle between component and RGB+HV output.