What's new

I am lost on picking a DVD player (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
If you watch mostly film based DVD's then the deinterlacing chip like Faroudja won't make much of a difference.I wouldn't limit myself to those players only,and it's largely dependent on your display device and size,before you stressing little differences.

MattWel

Stunt Coordinator
I get confused about the distinction of "film based", etc. If you are watching a dvd of a movie that was shot on film but it's transferred to dvd from a video source and not film, what would that be?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Not true. I compared a top-rated Faroudja-based XP30 with a bunch of other models and the XP30 was way superior with a much sharper picture with all types of DVDs, film and video-based. Almost all DVDs have poor flags even with film-based material that will produce artifacts like combing or softness in different spots unless you have a top-rated de-interlacer like Faroudja.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Sharpness is a product of the video frequency reproduction not the deinterlacer.
I've never heard of that mst DVD's are improperly flaged,where do you get your info?The only thing I've heard that most Buena Vista DVD improper alternating flag and some players like the Denon 2900 has problem with those.I'm not saying that Faroudja is not good,but for most folks it won't matter,and not worth obsessing over it.Even the Secrets guys agree that only the most "anal" videophiles would scrutinize the players like they do to find some differences that most people won't object to.Maybe you one of those guys?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks