What's new

I am lost on picking a DVD player (1 Viewer)

SteveW

Agent
I am still on the hunt for a good DVD player for my HT upgrade. Just when I think I have found a good model, I go out searching for reviews and opinions and read something bad. I didn't think this was going to be that difficult. Is there such a thing as over-researching??? :D I just don't want to end up with a POS. All I am looking for is a good player with good PQ for under $300. DVD audio and SACD capabilities are of no concern to me. I was pretty set on buying a Pioneer DV-45A from a friend for $175, but I have been reading alot of negatives about that one now. Can anyone point me towards a good player(s) that don't have any of the negative issues that alot of them seem to have. Oh and I don't want to really buy used, refurbished, or off of ebay.

Thanks

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Your best bet is a top-rated Faroudja-based DVD player. I myself got a used Panasonic XP30 on EBAY for $200 and its great. If you limit yourself to new models in stores, your choices are limited to the Mitsubishi DD-8040 ($249) and the Denon DVD-910 ($299) at Tweeter stores.

WallyBal

Grip
I just got a Sony DVP NS725P.
I thought I was getting a top model.
Was I wrong?

Where does this one stand in the line up?
Any opinions?

Thanks guys.

I'd go for this, under $299 at onecall

Samsung DVDHD31

Here are some specs:

Stylish DVD Player Delivers HD Picture Quality

Samsung has announced the ideal companion to your HD-ready entertainment system. The new DVD-HD931 DVD player offers 1080i/720p video output and features a DVI (Digital Visual Interface) output for a pure-digital signal to your compatible television or display. For audio enjoyment, the DVD-HD931 offers clear, accurate playback of CD's, with MP3 and WMA compatibility. Want to put on a 21st Century-style slide show? With the DVD-HD931, you can display JPEG still pictures from your compatible discs. A full-size chassis features a brilliant Titanium hot stamp finish.

HD(1080i/720p) DVI(Digital Visual Interface) Output
HD(High Definition) Video has 1080i or 720p picture quality and 16:9 aspect ratio. The DVD SD video signal is converted to a 720 line maximum HD format to provide a higher picture quality than existing DVDP.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
why is everyone so hung up on the samsung 931???? its one of the WORST pictures ive seen. we A/B tested it against a denon 910, and it lost in every arena (yes, even with the DVI upconversion). its got DVI, big deal. its image quality is poor at best!

SteveW

Agent
That new Panasonic looks promising. I have actually considered the Denon DVD-910. It was the one I could find the least amount of negatives about.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Sorry but Panasonic recently released a new press release and it now says the new DVI models in April will NOT be including Faroudja de-interlacer! So only the good old Panasonic models and the Denons are Faroudja for the rest of this year at least.

SteveW

Agent
Well I guess it is the Denon or Mitsu then. Would either of those two be better than the Pioneer DV-45A??

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Yes both Denon and Mitsubishi DD-8040 would be better since Pioneer doesn't have Faroudja.

Jim Prillaman

Stunt Coordinator

What about the Yamaha S1500 that's due out in March? Not a lot of info available on it, but it is supposed to be a DVD-A/SACD universal with Faroudja.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member

The 910 is the successor to the 900. It supposedly plays some DVD-R disks that the 900 does not (although I have had no trouble reading DVD-R with my 900). It also will read JPEG and Kodak picture CDs, where the 900 does not. Probably some other minor differences, but I’m not sure. If you are planning on using the player for prerecorded DVDs and CDs, the 900 is the same as the 910.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
The older Denon DVD-900 was way inferior picture quality to the new DVD-910. The 900 had a softer picture due to poor high frequency response, so avoid it.

ChrisYK

Stunt Coordinator
Picture stability problem with the Denon 910?

I've heard numerous reports outside of HTF of "picture stability" problems (whatever that means) with the 910. Has anyone else heard about this or had experience with it?

Raj_Thiara

Agent
That's too bad about the Panasonic as that looked like a solid unit. Oh well.

In terms of the Yamaha, it certainly looks promising:

http://www.kensei-con.net/cetc/publi...le_14633.shtml

I think I'm sold on getting this one. The Yamaha S2300 which featured the Faroudja de-interlacer was supposed to be outstanding both in picture quality and the high-res formats. With an MRSP of $399 on the S1500, these should be selling like hot cakes.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
No, the design between the 900 and the 910 are totally different, the old 900 basically sucks. The 910 is much improved though not quite the match for the older DVD-1600 model.

JamesGL

Stunt Coordinator

Do a search on Denon in this forum or other forums. A lot of posts have to do with their Denon malfunctioning, not working, or warranty problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks