What's new

I am looking for demo material, not mainstream stuff! (1 Viewer)

Christopher_Ham

Stunt Coordinator
I finally watched Brother Bear and it had some very good enviroment surround. The menu page of disc one also is good for checking the levels of your speakers because the moose pan around to each speaker.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Here's some that I like:

Good Bass:

Top Gun (anything with the afterburners goin :) )
Dances with wolves (Buffalo chase scene)
Mission to Mars (attack of the dirt monster)
Pitch Black (more in your face than bass, but the opening crash is great)

Music Score:

Panic Room
Apollo 13
Perfect Storm (title sequence)
Sneakers

Surround:

Reign of Fire
We Were Soldiers

Those are just the ones I saw when lookin through my dvds that aren't too mainstream but still somewhat popular.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This is gonna seem like a odd choice.But since getting a 16x9 TV, the title that sticks out in my head as the way a Film SHOULD look is Malcolm X.

James L White

Supporting Actor
I'm more of a videophile my self, so I'll list some basted on very good video transfers

Swiss Family Robinson- clearity is fantastic
the Don Knotts comedy classics DVDs from Universal all look great for their age

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
I love the PQ of Final Destination 2 . Plus, the opening scene (Chapter Two because of the credits) is a pretty cool surround demo. Not for kids though.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
One of the best musical soundtracks is the DTS track on THE RED VIOLIN. That is just an outstanding piece of work.

GregBe

Second Unit
My favorite demos are the typical big explosion big rumble sub pushers, but it is nice to mix it up with ambiance demos.

Well this is certainly not mainstream, but the scene in The Legend of Bagger Vance where Matt Damon is hitting golf balls at night and Will Smith first appears. This scene has a terrific you are there quality. Crickets all around you and the hitting of the balls are very realistic.

Greg

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I get so frustrated with threads like this. (In a good way.)

I am always on the hunt for new, great audio demos. I wish we'd not only list titles but also CHAPTERS that I can hop right to in the search for great demo material.

I've begun collecting our demo ideas (from our newspaper and monthly emails) in a webpage on our website (http://www.polkaudio.com/home/toolbox/dvd_reviews.php) and you can see that I do it so you can just jump right to the demo scene. I think this is the way it should always be done. You mean I gotta sit thru a whole movie just to hear a couple of "lifelike moments"? Tell me where the demo's at!

List some titles and demo chapters, and I'll run home and start watching movies and writing reviews!

MC

Paul.G

Agent
The Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots

Demo-quality sound....check!
Non-mainstream........check!

This is a GREAT cd and an equally great surround mix :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks