1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I am looking for a audio test CD or DVD. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris PC, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I have used a PC program to produce test tones of various frequencies. I was wondering if there was a better way of doing it. Perhaps a test CD or something? I would like to compare and check various bass frequencies from 10 to 100 hz. Mostly for checking the frequency response of my speakers, my speakers and my subwoofer and also to compare different speakers.
    Any ideas?
    The thing I have though of is to record the tones from the PC software and burn a CD, but I was hoping there was already a more useful CD out there already.

2. Dan_Myers

Dan_Myers Agent

If you go to this link. Note its https not http:
    https://secure.rt66.com/stereophile/...cordings.shtml
    scroll down to the very bottom and look at Test CD 3. It contains warbal tones from the bottom to top of the audio spectrum. I have this CD and find it very useful.

3. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Whats a warble tone?

4. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

A warble tone is a test tone that oscillates above and below the indicated frequency.
    John J at Strykeaudio.com has a good test CD with exactly what you want plus more on it. Has test tones from 10 on up, a sweep up to 100, more tones up past 20K, and a bunch of the warble tones too. I think it's $10.
    BB

5. Chuck Kent

Chuck Kent Supporting Actor

Chris: I use 3 different sources for tones.
    1. AVIA DVD. This thing is filled with excellent advice on both audio and video setup in a 5.1 home theater. Test tones, display patterns... just about everything you might need. When used with a Radio Shack spl, you can set all audio levels to their best operating range.
    2. Stereophile Test CD #1. I don't really disagree with Dan's suggestion but I just seem to end up using the 1st CD more. (This is a 2 channel based bass test tone source. It won't help with center/rear speakers.)
    3. Infinity R.A.B.O.S. test kit. This is a 2 channel based test tone kit that runs around $60 to $70. It includes a very accurate bass response measurement meter. The comprehensive series of tones and the expanation of how to use your measurements is first rate. This is the best method of measuring in-room 2 channel bass I have encountered short of spending big bucks for pro or semi-pro gear (which most of us can't cost justify.)
    ------------------

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Chris,
    I don't know how accurate you want to be on your frequency test, or how fast you want to perform the measuring.
    I can recommend a software program that will do it for you without a CD or DVD test disk, and results can be obtained in pseudo-real time (means you can move speakers and quickly overlay a second frequency graph to track changes). It is offered by a fellow Canadian for about $149 I think.
    ETF5.0
    The site also provides a great demo-room example and fundamental training on tuning your speakers in a room.
    With a calibrated microphone I would consider this a professional tool.
    Worth visiting even if you don't buy the software. You can download the software and try it out as a demo version, but you can't save or print files.
    A satisfied user.
    BruceD
    [Edited last by BruceD on October 14, 2001 at 10:41 AM]
    [Edited last by BruceD on October 14, 2001 at 10:43 AM]

7. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

I personally use a BK Precision Model 4011 function generator. It is primarily used to produce waveforms of different shapes (sine, square, and sawtooth) for bench testing electronics. With it, you can dial in any frequecy from 1 hz up to 5Mhz with 4 digit resolution (x the multiplier). I use it to eq my room. New, they cost a couple of hundred bucks, but if you know any bench techs, or have a electronic supply company in town that rents this type of thing, I would pursue that route. It is a great tool for checking the response of a room. I plug it into my receiver's aux input and start playing. It makes it incredible easy to check for dead spots in the spectrum by sweeping at what ever speed you want. Then, once you hear a valley or peak in room response, you can hold in that area and do what ever you want to do to correct it. Then move on through the sweep.
    Danny

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at most of those. I mainly want to compare speakers, amplifiers and adjust the level and placement of my subwoofer. I have Video Essentials, but I can't recall a specifc Bass tones test.
    Here's an example of what I've done so far:
    One of my main curiosities was comparing my new speakers to my old ones. Sitting at my listening position and using a PC tone generator through the AUX input of my receiver and measuring with a Radio Shack SPL meter I found interesting results. My old speakers were less efficient, requiring 5 more dB on my receivers volume control. The speakers were somewhat similar from 50 hz on down. I matched both speaker pairs to +3dB's at 50hz on the 80 dB scale to start. My newer speakers measured a consistent 1 or 2 dB's higher until both speakers matched at 19 hz. Not sure what the response was above 50hz, so who knows if 50hz was a peak or trough for either speaker pair? Below 19 hz, my new speakers gave out a 1/2 dB per hz until 14 hz where they were down 4 dB's. The old speakers have a 1 inch tweeter and 8 inch mid/woofer. My new speakers have a 1 inch tweeter also and are ported with 3 6 1/2 " woofers, one being a mid/woofer, so that's not a big deal, it makes sense that they roll off steeper than the sealed speakers since they're ported and smaller drivers, eventually anyways. The Bostons woofer s were moving lots, so its safe to say there was more distortion. I didn't bother going below 14 hz. Anechoic, my old sealed 2 way 8 inch woofer Bostons were rated - 3dB at 45hz. My new PSB 6T's are rated - 3dB at 32hz. The PSB's are more efficient and the woofers don't move much, hinting to increased accuracy and lower distortion. Never the less, sometimes I feel there is not as much bass as with my older speakers. I find it hard to believe that its the few dB's lost below 20hz that makes the difference. The 20 hz and lower response is already down over 10 dB anyways for both the new and old speaker pair! Other times it feels like there is more. I think I might have been hearing distortion and/or distortion/harmonics with the older speakers that made it sound bigger. I am not too keen on the bass control on my receiver either. It doesn't seem to have much effect.
    Anyways.......thats not really off topic, but its maybe more than you need to know? In room response testing was interesting. It gives you an idea of what I'm trying to do. Curiosity really, and "I hope I got my money's worth" kinda testing. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 14, 2001 at 09:25 PM]
    [Edited last by Chris PC on October 14, 2001 at 09:27 PM]

9. Wil_J

Wil_J Stunt Coordinator

Chris,
    There is a cd that has bass test tones on it as well as pink noise and a sine wave starting at 20,000Hz all the way down to 20Hz.
    The one I have is by Bass Mekanik and the title is Quad Maximus. It has everything you could possibly need.......Wil
    ------------------
    "The rose petal floats on water,
    the kingfisher flashes above the pond.
    Life and beauty swirl in the midst of death."

al'Lan Mandragoran,
    *******The Wheel of Time

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Unless both speakers were in exactly the same place, I would expect what you are hearing with the variable bass is due to room modes. Even moving your head or speakers as much as a few inches could change the outcome.
    This is why I wanted a program that would overlay frequency response graphs as I changed different things (bass xover frequency, parametric EQ, main speaker position, sub position, etc.)
    BruceD