What's new

I am late in seeing this but wow, i enjoyed blade 2 more then blade 1. question tho (1 Viewer)

todd stone

Screenwriter
besides the cgi of course, did snipes do most of his own stunt work?
also, there seemed to be alot of wrestling moves in this one :)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I think he did a few of his own stunts but there were definitely stuntmen involved with the more difficult stuff.
Totally agree about liking #2 more than the first. I really didn't like the first movie but this one was just right :)

todd stone

Screenwriter
Thanks Andy :)
I bet I am going against the norm tho with saying I thought #2 was better.
The music fit better this time around imo.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I'm in the camp that prefer Blade II much more than the first installment. I felt it was paced much better and Del Toro just knew how to build from the first one and make it even more 'fun'. The good thing about a sequel (doesn't always work though) is that it jumps straight into the story. The development of our hero was covered in the first one. We are definitely a minority though.
On wrestling moves, Del Toro explains in the commentary that they wanted lots of different fighting styles. Wrestling was obviously one of them :).

William DAnnucci

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the minority. I didn't care much for Blade 1 after the first 10 minutes or so. But I am ga-ga in love with Blade 2. Del Toro rules. Unlike Norrington with part one, Del Toro recognized that this material was about a Marvel horror superhero comic and made an almost perfect visualization of it. Sure the dialogue and characters are still mostly awful, but the film never stops delivering terrific sequences of kung-fu, horror, special effects, and superhero battles.

The DVD makes the viewing experience even better. What a great package. Definitely my guilty pleasure of the year by far.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I think that the second one was a successful sequel to the first that ALSO successfully brought a totally different directorial style to the film

Bang-up job

and yes, Snipes does most of his own stunt work

Greg_C_T

Second Unit
I guess I'm in the minority that liked the first one better. I just wasn't impressed with all the CGI-action garbage in the sequel. I'll give it another chance, though.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Blade II is a better and more watchable flick than Blade I, so count me into the minority too. Obviously to each his own, but I liked the pacing immensely better in II vs I. Music, set dressings, costuming, cast, and especially the effects, cinematography, and chorography, were all much better in II.

I watch Blade II fairly often. I hardly ever watch Blade I, and when I do it's with the remote in hand to skip the grind-to-a-halt parts of that one (which is like 2/3rds of the film).

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I liked both movies very much. The first 10-20 minutes of each are simply excellent.

The directors comments on Blade II are a perfect example of how once you knows the directors' vision and motivation, you can appreciate his work on a whole new level.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I didn't like either movie, It not the same character I grew up reading!

I enjoyed both, but there were times in Blade2 when CG characters doing ridiculous jumps and stunts really took me out of the movie. I'd have to watch it again to get a more firm feeling on it, but that is the impression I remember most from seeing it in the theater.

I remember one scene in particular where he is fighting in front of the huge lights... everything just looked so fake with them jumping like 20 feet in the air and such. I don't have a problem with CG when it blends into the movie, but that scene sticks in my mind as something that really didn't fit

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Del Toro's commentary on Blade II is really funny and informative, he keeps poking fun at his movie, and cringes at scenes he wasn't pleased with, especially the CGI doubles in the ninja fight near the start, here is how he starts the commentary off...
"We're here to entertain you while you find out why the fuck this channel has two assholes talking, and not the movie."

Rob T

Screenwriter
I liked them oth a whole lot.
I still have to get the 2nd one on DVD though. I don't like the Canadian cover art all that much. Too much French on it. I'll wait to get the American version. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
One good thing about DVD, it's turning an entire nation again the French and their Francophone spawn :)
Step one in my world domination plot CHECK
I was very comforted when Del Toro ragged on the horrific CGI puppets in front of the lights, I don't know what they were thinking.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
I also noticed that fight scene in front of the lights. Much of it was fine but that CGI'ed part that looks incredibly faked could have been done much better. You can clearly see that its not a human being or anything with muscles and joints like a human being moving. One of the few really annoying bits in the movie.

But I'm not a rabid fan of it, just thought the movie was ok.

Users who are viewing this thread