I am kind of lost need help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by audiorookie, Aug 30, 2006.

1. audiorookie

audiorookie Auditioning

I am ready to buy a entry level HT. My problems are the shape and size of my room. It is what the builder called a great room. The entire right hand side is open to the dining room so all all sound going that direction would be lost ( I think). The room dimensions are 14 1/2' wide (to the end of what would be the family room) by 16' deep to the media niche. The media niche is only a half wall that opens into the formal living room. ( I know this all sounds odd and it is). The systems I am looking at are the Mirage Nanostat with Denon 1707 reciever (ultimate electronics has it packaged together for 999.98) or the Infinity TSS1100 with a appx. 400 dollar reciever. Any opinions would be helpfull. I know about the likes of the SVS system but I really need to say under 1100 dollars for the system.

Robert

2. audiorookie

audiorookie Auditioning

nothing yet? just some opinions would help. Thanks

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hey Robert. Welcome to HTF!

Yes, having non-symetrical rooms are a pain. But it's not so bad for HT as it is for music. With music - you want walls to echo off of to help create a concert-hall environment from 2 speakers. But a HT system surrounds a few chairs with an array of speakers so the walls dont matter as much.

Of the 2 systems: it's a coke-vs-pepsi choice. Take a favorite DVD and a favorite music CD and listen to both speakers. Select the one that sounds better to you.

It's like brands of beer or flavors of ice cream: your taste and mine would be different. This does not mean one is better than the other.

Of your two systems - I'd give the nod to Mirage/Denon system simply because I know the Denon quality is good and Mirage has a good reputation.

But you really do need a subwoofer because the small monitor-style speakers have zero ability to produce sounds below about 100 hz and this is where the impact from a movie comes from. I'm assuming the Mirage system includes a sub?

Hope this helps.

4. audiorookie

audiorookie Auditioning

Thanks for your input and opinion Bob. I will look into the Denon/Mirage setup more in depth.