I am in Taiwan and going to Taipei Tomorrow - Must See's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Savage, Mar 8, 2003.

1. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Ok I am going to the Palace Museum and the big computer flea market. Anything else that I should see? I have been in Hsinchu for a couple of weeks but this is my first time to Taipei.

Also I will be in Singapore in a couple of weeks so any advice there would be great too.

Thanks!!!!!
    Jeff

2. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Singapore? not much to see here, really. if you like animals, I am told the zoo is quite good (I have not been in years though) and the Night Safari there is apparently a world's first.

from an HT point of view, if you need one, just about every DVD player sold here is multi-region (i.e. code free) and multi-system (but no conversion, they just output whatever the source is), so rather than struggle and look for Malatas you can just buy a Pioneer, or a Panasonic, or a Toshiba, or a Sony...

3. John Chow

John Chow Second Unit

I just started working here in Taipei myself. What is your focus/interests? It's kinda hard to figure out what to recommend without knowing.

The Palace Museum is the highlight of Chinese artifacts, since the collection is composed of many of the items taken from China by Chiang Kai Shek when he fled the mainland. Keep an eye out for the Jade Lettuce (my favorite piece).

You may want to check out the Shilin night market, if you aren't familiar with the concept of night markets, you may find it interesting.

There's also an area called Snake Alley, which generally tends to be an interesting place for tourists. Lots of snakes, and alcoholic drinks mixed with snake venom, bile, or blood. (At least that's my understanding, haven't really bothered to go down there myself)

Tamsui has some pretty nice scenery, and a fisherman's wharf type area, although it might be harder to get to, since you'd probably have to take a bus or a taxi from the subway station. Alot of this depends on how you plan on getting around the city.

Yangmingshan national park is also a nice place, if you're looking for more outdoorsy stuff. I don't know how long you're going to be in Taipei, but if only for a day, then you won't have too much time to see stuff. If you like Museums, the National Palace Museum can easily take up a full day.

4. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

Awesome thanks for the suggestions. I didn't even think about the DVD player. That would be a great purchase!

We are getting ready to leave as it is 6:40AM Sunday here. It sounds like our day will be pretty full with the Palace Museum and the shopping.

Thanks for the inputs!

Jeff

5. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Screenwriter

How did it go?