What's new

I am getting Married this Friday 4-25-03 (1 Viewer)

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
For the sanity of your friends...make sure there is an open bar or at least free drinks. I swear there is nothing worse than going to a reception only to have to pay for your own booze, might as well buy a flask just for these occassions.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I will tell you the same thing I told my brother -In - Law before his marriage.

Run and dont look back...even if you leave everthing you will be a head in the future.

He laughed and thought I was kidding

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
DONT save your energy for any "wedding night sexual escapades"

Heck, what does the wedding night have to do with that? I been married seven years and I still don't what nights I am going to get laid.

Here is my advice for the wedding day:

1) ABSOLUTELY have your best mand deliver a message to the bride just before the ceremony. Make the message mushy. I had the BEST best man ever and he thought of EVERYTHING that I was too dazed to think of. Pick one who is already married if you can.

2) At the time you may not feel so, but there is no such thing as too many photos.

3) Don't hit on ANY bridesmaids! hehe

4) Give your mother-in-law roses and a thank you note for giving birth to your wife.

5) I really hope you asked her father's permission.... It's not too late. I gave him a dozen beanie-cows and a photo copy of an article about dowrys long ago consisting of livestock.

6) "I will" not "I do"

7) Put disposable cameras on all of the guests tables. make sure they leave them behind for you to develop.

8) Toast the brides parents. Be mushy and generous.
Something along these lines - "As tradition holds from the beginning in the garden of eden, a wife is a gift from God. Jennifer is as perfect as any heavenly gift can be. And if she is a gift from God to me, then Mrs. C, you are the angel that delivered her to me."
but not so brief or corny. Make it your honest sentiments.

9) Buy gifts for your best man and ushers.

10) Your wedding is all about the bride - not you. You are a prop. You are there to make her look good. Why do you think she gets a $4000.00 dress and you get borrowed clothing? Girls look forward to their wedding like we looked forward to losing our virginity... times a million. Make sure that EVERYTHING is about the bride.

11) Buy her dad some windex. (kidding)

12) To avoid foot+mouth disesase, keep your mouth closed. Most folks will attribute it to nerves. It is amazeing the things that will fly out of your mouth when you are nervous.

The only thing I regret forgetting was to get pictures in front of the church. Heck, it was Canada in January! Brrrr! But the church was a beautiful old stone church and with all the snow would have been spectacular behind our black and white clothing. oh well...

For a lasting marriage;

Seven years ain't very long, but so far we've not had a single blow-out argument. That's because I just bottle everything up in a small place inside of me... kidding!
Actually, we never stew on anything, we put any problems into proportion and we communicate. Top of the list, don't sweat the small stuff. Second, say 'I love you ' once a day and never let it be said without meaning. ie - never stop appreciating her. Treat her with respect and treat yourself with self-respect.

Good luck!

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Regarding nerves; I thought you might appreciate a quick story of my wedding.

My wife and I lived and met in Florida, but her family is all in Canada. I had never met any of them before proposing.

We flew up to Canada for the wedding 5 days prior. The first time I met her four older brothers was the night they held my bachelor party. Shortly into it they decided to take me to a strip club.

Now tell me, just how should one act in a strip club with four men whom you have never met before who's little sister you are going to marry in a matter of days?

Now, compound that problem with the fact that they just paid a girl $20 to... um perform - right on top of me!

Than GOD my best man was there. Without him I'd have been petrified. As was I just felt mortified instead.

All went well and the wedding went without a hitch. Knowing them more now I can apprecaite the hell that they knew they were putting me through. Talk about killing me with kindness!

Howie A

Second Unit
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the great advise and say that it was all very helpful just to remove myself from everything surrounding the wedding and laugh a bit at some of the funnier things posted. My future wife is able to get this type of incite on all those wedding web forums she visits. So it is great to know I also have a place to go, when searching for some answers, some calming words of wisdom, or if nothing else a place to reinforce the fact that I was not wrong when thinking BTTF II & III were framed incorrectly.
(Which, BTW I hope to have V2 waiting on my stoop once I return from my honeymoon) :)

Really Thanks A Million!!

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Howie, if your FW (future wife) hasn't been there already, have her check out the weddingchannel.com forums. I've been there for 2 years and I'm truly addicted :)

Frederick

Second Unit
The one thing that I do have to say took some adjusting to was the change in my spending habits. True, going out to buy a $600 remote in the past wasn't an issue, but now it's not about me, it's about US. And before anyone gets married, they have to be willing to accept that they're world is now bigger than just themselves. I could go out and buy that remote now if I wanted to (and had the $600), but before I do, I want to make sure that everything else is taken care of for both me and my family. I'm more responsible now. I feel as though being a husband (and a father, she had a son before us) has matured me somewhat. It's definitely changed my perspective toward life and living in general. Dating was never a problem for me, but this is so much different. I was never one that felt "incomplete" before I got married, but now that I am, I definitely feel like my life's so much better, if only because I have someone to share it with now. Did I mention she was an audiophile? I took her to this store in my area that specialized in tube amps and high-end audio, and we were there for an hour and a half, not because of me, but because of HER! I kid you not. She now has her eyes set on a $4k audio setup after we buy a house :laugh: ...

Freddy C.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks