1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

I am getting a new graphics computer...

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Brice, Jul 19, 2003.

1. Brice

Brice Stunt Coordinator

A friend of mine just got me hooked up with a PC that has an Oxygen VX1 graphics card in it. I am going to be using this computer for only graphics, video editing, music editing/playing and the like. It has a mid-high P3 in it and 512 ram, that's all I know. I got if for $50, so if I want to upgrade I can and I got a good start.

First off does anyone here have any experience with this 3d Lab's Oxygen VX1 card? I know it's their most entry level card and it's no 'wildcat' but I think It'll do for an aspiring 3d filmmaker as myself to start with. I think it's running windows 2000 and my friend said that he tried to load 3d max on xp pro and it didn't work... should i keep it 2000 or upgrade, and if i do upgrade will i be able to get 3d max to run on it?

Also, I'm looking for a cheap 19" monitor or a decent 17" one that can go up to 1200x1600 resolution... any suggestions. I am a college student so money is kind of strict (eg. really strict)... any words of advice, I plan to stick a large HD in it once i get it, and a USB 2.0/firewire card... I need to get a dvd rom... how much do those 'Lite' ones go for nowadays? thanks a bunch for all your help (ahead of time_)...

Brice

2. Demetri K

Demetri K Stunt Coordinator

3d Max, Maya, and anything else works fine with xp(professional).

3. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

Max and Maya will run very slow with just 512 MB of ram (especially at render time), and you may want to consider one of the Nvidia quadro cards as well.... Good vfm / performance ratio

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

Quadro? Does it help the comp to render the images? I thought it was only helpful when you build the scene, not when you render with lighting.

5. Craig Crane

Craig Crane Stunt Coordinator

I only mentioned the quadro as an alternative to the other card he mentioned. It doesnt help speed up rendering, but certainly sped up my modelling and manipulation.

The main point to my post was the ram issue. The more the merrier...