I am evil. Or how I got my brother to buy good hi-fi gear.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 19, 2001.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

My brother has been slowly delving into the home-theater/audio world over the past few months and asked for my help this past weekend to put the finshing touches on his system. He has a beautiful 36" Sony WEGA XBR TV and a Yamaha RX-V3000 receiver. Two weeks ago, he replaced a cheap pair of Klipsch speakers with a pair of JBL S38s. I immediately had some concerns about the quality of the S38s, especially considering the fact that he overpaid for them. He got them for $500 at Best Buy, while J&R Music World (an easy drive for him) sells them for $300. In any event, I got to his place Saturday morning and listened to some CDs through a Sony DVP-S330 DVD player. The sound was extremely muddy and lifeless. While I thought he could use a better component for CDs, I expressed that he should strongly consider better speakers. (I'm not trying to offend S38 owners, but the sound of the S38s wasn't right, and my brother agreed). This is where the evil part starts. [​IMG]
    So my brother and I hit a couple hi-fi stores in his area and listened to B&W CDM-1NT, Paradigm Reference Studio 20, Vienna Acoustics Haydn, Sonus Faber Concertino, Energy Veritas 2.1, and Energy Veritas 2.2 speakers. He liked the B&W CDM-1NTs and Vienna Acoustics Haydns initially. However, the B&W dealer didn't have a new pair of the CDM-1NTs in stock and didn't know when they would get them in again, and after listening to the Haydns for awhile, he decided they were too laid back. In the end, he was all set to buy the Energy Veritas 2.1s, which he preferred over the CDM-1NTs and the Haydns, when he decided to listen to the Veritas 2.2s. Guess which speakers he bought. The 2.2s, of course. I agreed with him that they were the best speakers we had heard that day. He got a great price on them -- $1275 for the pair. They list for $1500.
    Next, my brother and I discussed DVD players at the same dealer that had the Energy speakers. With the Sony 'S330, he obviously wasn't taking advantage of the progressive-scan capablity of the Sony WEGA XBR TV. I showed him many different players and pointed out the pros and cons of each, and he decided on the Sony DVP-S9000ES. The dealer gave it to him for $975, which isn't too bad at a brick-and-mortar store (authorized dealer). I sold him on SACD, and he loved the build quality of the 'S9000ES.
    We set everything up Saturday night, and he was thilled by the difference he saw and heard with the new toys. He immediately heard the improvement that the Energy Veritas speakers afforded over the JBLs and loves the picture quality provided by the 'S9000ES. On Sunday, he returned the JBLs to Best Buy and bought a couple SACDs. Yes, I am evil. Truthfully, it's nice to spend someone else's money on this stuff instead of my own for a change. [​IMG]

2. Aubrey

Aubrey Extra

Good for you Keith. I also have an "evil" associate who has upped the quality, size (and expense) of our circle of friends' systems. He uses a combination of good product knowledge, subtle persuasion...and he SPEAKS WITH A FORKED TONGUE!!![​IMG] It's all good fun though, and we are better off for his input.
    I took a look at your website. Holy crap! Kudos to you. Can you re-align satillite trajectories with that setup or what? NASA wants their stuff back!
    Keep up the good work. (and the GNP)[​IMG]

3. Thomas_A

Thomas_A Second Unit

Your lucky you were asked... I found out my bro got into HT when his wife called one night- they were having trouble setting up thier new Sony HTB!...yuppers... I had trouble containing my laughter-- especialy when they told me no sound was comming from the reicver in tV mode..I asked if they had a cable..etc.. no..we dont..well duh then ..hehe
    Oh well.. she kept stressing that they got the "Sony" caused it mached thier "sony " tv... once again I had to contain my laughter...
    One day gresshopper may learn[​IMG]

4. Mike Burke

Mike Burke Stunt Coordinator

Don't ya love spending other peoples money!! I helped a buddy in the same situation 2 years ago. He started with a Denon AVR3300 and Mirage speakers well he didn't think they were a good match so he returned the Denon and got a Yamaha (1700.00 model I think) and then returned the Mirages for the next model up. He started with a 2500.00 budget. Ended up closer to $5K after everything! I think he is still mad at me but he is LOVIBG it all!!

Mike

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Aubrey said:

6. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Aub,
    I guess you have't noticed the little metal voodoo doll of you that I keep in my basement... every once in a while I plug it into something.... a receiver... a dvd player... I tried a power outlet too but I've found it throws off my pacemaker. [​IMG]
    Miles
    PS My voodoo extends to the HTF too, where I've convinced the server that I've been a member since 1970...

7. Aubrey

Aubrey Extra

MASSSSTER!!!!![​IMG]
    Bow minions, the Dark Lord walks among us!
    I knew it was voodoo. I was just playing along. Yea, thats it.
    Can you stop hiding the doll behind the microwave, I keep having seizures everytime you heat up a burrito.

8. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

9. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Andy, as I am a graduate of the University of Illinois, the real inventor of the Internet, dem's fightin' words. [​IMG]

11. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Keith I had the pleasure of helping a very close friend of mine purchase his DVD player, speakers and reciever. To make a long story short(and for a good budget system) I came back with Denon1802, Energy Take 5 and Toshiba DVD player(a lower model). Hes not into the big money, lots of bells and whistles idea...he just wanted something that would please his ear and knowing he wasn't getting taken to the cleaners with an inferior product. He absolutly loves it . Makes my day to.

Now if only my other friend would have asked for my advice before spending over $4500.00 on a Sony rack system...

12. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor