What's new

I am done with reality tv. (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Ok, ok, I've just read through this entire thread and waited, but nobody said it, so here goes:

The biggest losers are the people who watch these shows!

:banana:

That's terrible :D

Sometimes these are just a fun waste of time. TAR is actually really good, the rest are pretty awful.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I admit, there are a lot of shows within this genre I quite enjoy, though I tend to enjoy shows with a science or construction element. That is what makes it hard for me to determine what is in this genre. I enjoy Face/Off (SyFy) but find it hard to put it in the same genre as say, Big Brother. In shows where they have to express a skill and we get to see construction elements, I really get it. In that model, I also enjoy Ink Master (sometimes), Project Runway, and definitely shows like Battlebots, Scrapyard Wars, etc.

What defines Reality TV genre? See.. that's what gets me. When I think of Reality TV I think of the garbage on E! or wherever about the Kardashians and following people around all the time. That to me is boring, meaningless. But seeming people build or do something with a skill I find interesting? I do find that fun. I haven't watched Top Chef in a while, but I watched a lot before and as I'd see them construct something and explain it, I thought: crap, that sounds good, let me try that. It also helped that before they had recipes of a sort available so I could try them.

I guess what I'm saying is a lot depends on how you define reality TV

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only "reality" tv shows I bothered to watch semi-regularly over the years, was America's Most Wanted and COPS. Back in the day, occasionally I also watched Jerry Springer and Geraldo.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
The only "reality" tv shows I bothered to watch semi-regularly over the years, was America's Most Wanted and COPS. Back in the day, occasionally I also watched Jerry Springer and Geraldo.
Yuck. Out of all the reality shows, those were some of the worst. Amazing how many low-life, really tacky people there are in the world. Although things like "Dance Moms", "Real Housewives of ...", "Little Women..." have now topped the list of some of the most terrible programming ever created. Just for curiosity, I watched one episode of each and that was more than enough. :unsure:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Yuck. Out of all the reality shows, those were some of the worst. Amazing how many low-life, really tacky people there are in the world.

(Without getting into politics).

Geraldo was hilarious every time there were shows on tacky topics/guests, such as: satanism, nazis, klansmen, etc ....

Same story with Jerry Springer, Wally George (ie. The Hot Seat), etc .... but with the guests beating up on each other.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
(Without getting into politics).

Geraldo was hilarious every time there were shows on tacky topics/guests, such as: satanism, nazis, klansmen, etc ....

Same story with Jerry Springer, Wally George (ie. The Hot Seat), etc .... but with the guests beating up on each other.
I couldn't watch them mainly because of the "host".

Even Judge Judy is awful, she's just a snarky little bitch, often pre-decided everything and won't even listen to people. On the other hand, I do enjoy "The People's Court", it's much more well done and Judge Marilyn Milian is a far nicer person.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I couldn't watch them mainly because of the "host".

In terms of hosts, most of them were somewhat annoying.

Though I was willing to overlook the hosts' annoying demeanor/behavior, and watching the trainwreck antics of the guests.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
We watched "Americas Funniest Home Videos" for years and always fast forward through the host. We stopped watching the show when they decided the height of hilarity was little children sneezing, making poop faces and vomiting.

Last edited:

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I admit, there are a lot of shows within this genre I quite enjoy, though I tend to enjoy shows with a science or construction element. That is what makes it hard for me to determine what is in this genre. I enjoy Face/Off (SyFy) but find it hard to put it in the same genre as say, Big Brother. In shows where they have to express a skill and we get to see construction elements, I really get it. In that model, I also enjoy Ink Master (sometimes), Project Runway, and definitely shows like Battlebots, Scrapyard Wars, etc.

What defines Reality TV genre? See.. that's what gets me. When I think of Reality TV I think of the garbage on E! or wherever about the Kardashians and following people around all the time. That to me is boring, meaningless. But seeming people build or do something with a skill I find interesting? I do find that fun. I haven't watched Top Chef in a while, but I watched a lot before and as I'd see them construct something and explain it, I thought: crap, that sounds good, let me try that. It also helped that before they had recipes of a sort available so I could try them.

I guess what I'm saying is a lot depends on how you define reality TV
Face/Off is fascinating.

Totally off topic, but there was a scene a few years ago where the contestants ran through a gorgeous rose garden into a library or something.

The rose garden was the same one used for many lead-ins to scenes on "Bones". I could tell it wasn't Washington D.C., no way could they grow rose bushes that size in their climate. Interesting to see where they actually got the footage, obviously somewhere in California.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I stopped watching reality shows when I found out that 99% of them are scripted. None of the people on Pawn Stars are selling their stuff. The people on the home shows do not buy a home. All fake.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I like Face Off and SYTYCD. But these aren't emotional drama or social manipulation games. Just more or less artistic competitions.

Though I might have a third favorite in the genre: Unreal :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
These shows like Canada's Worst Driver are just so much bullshit. I mean, look at the people in CWD. How many of those people could have even passed a driving test and qualified for a license.

Hell, I failed my first test merely because I forgot to do up my seatbelt, and these guys are saying that a woman continually having to ask whether she can change lanes would pass her driving exam? It's crap. A person watchs CWD for comedy, not reality

About the only show out of these that didn't seem completely fake was The Amazing Race.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I stopped watching reality shows when I found out that 99% of them are scripted. None of the people on Pawn Stars are selling their stuff. The people on the home shows do not buy a home. All fake.
Scripted and they have hundreds of hours of footage to edit as the producers see fit. They're totally fake, but somewhat enjoyable. :rolleyes:

Todd H

Go Dawgs!
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd
I loathe reality TV. With so much awesome scripted television out there (Game of Thrones, Better Call Saul, etc.) now why waste time watching this crap?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks