What's new

i am done with ghost stories (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, I compared the film with Peter Straub's more chilling novel, and it failed for me--even though I don't believe adapations should follow a novel as if it were a blueprint. Maybe I should give the film another chance. It certainly has a great cast.

Daniel Demarco

Auditioning
Many might disagree with this,but I do not consider What Lies Beneath a ghost story,In fact,I believe there to me NO ghost at all,but in fact she was making things happen to help her remember what in fact did happen that night,because she walked in, ect. I believe it all to be a subconscious way to help her suppressed memory.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Many might disagree with this,but I do not consider What Lies Beneath a ghost story,In fact,I believe there to me NO ghost at all,but in fact she was making things happen to help her remember what in fact did happen that night,because she walked in, ect. I believe it all to be a subconscious way to help her suppressed memory.
That's an interesting perspective Daniel, and I wish it were possible for me to share it. The main reason I was disappointed in that film, was because Zemeckis sold it as a "Hitchcock" film. Hitchcock, of course, did not make films about supernatural activity, but rather human psychology. Sadly, I feel very strongly that What Lies Beneath does indeed (deliberately) contain elements of the supernatural, and thus fails completely as an entertaining picture (all IMHO of course :) )

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
This was one of the reasons I was initially disappointed with it. I was expecting a ghost story and the first half of the film delivers that. Plus, there were tons of hints as to something might be unusual. Take the dinner conversation: it's mentioned the house has been remodeled(and a few other facts I can't remember). My mind immediately started working on how that would figure into the plot, but it didn't. I think they wrote all that exposition to throw off horror fans like myself. At first, this pissed me off, but the more I think about it the more I realize what a good choice it was. They put enough ghost story elements in the script for two films, then went in the opposite direction.

Anyway, back to your statement. I spent some time trying to determine whether or not the ghost really did exist, and I came to the conclusion that she did. Sure, the experiences in the bathroom could be hallucinations, but think about her visit to the dock(before she dives in to find the box). What was the dog barking at? If you add it up, there's just too many odd occurances to attribute it to her imagining it all.

DustinDavis

Stunt Coordinator
Felix,
I can appreciate you being "done" and I am not a big horror/ghost story person myself. Since I liked the same ones you mentioned you liked, may I suggest you give Poltergeist a try. It does involve a house, but no friendly ghosts, no asking favors, and nobody getting along with the ghosts, I promise.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Ghost Story scared the crap out of me. Of course I did see it first as a kid, which helps with that effect.

And it does follow the fundamental template we've been discussing.

Sidebar on Lies Beneath - the most annoying thing about the film to me was how he tried to play the story like various Hitch films, only for each of those to be yet another red herring. That way he gets to jock all the Hitch he wants without actually "ripping him off" (which he really is).

Just like the early aspects that imply a story a lot like Rear Window to name one.

felix_suwarno

Screenwriter
i will be honest. the scariest movie for me was jurrasic park. the first time i saw the trex attacking the jurrasic park jeep...it was awfully terrifying that i got nightmares for a week. really.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks