I am confussed - HTPC or HD - HDD

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by DavidBW, Jul 16, 2006.

1. DavidBW

DavidBW Auditioning

I am upgrading my old setup of a HD40a and set top box.

I have been debating whether to go with a Sony 250GB HDD SVRHD900 or to invest in a HTPC with twin digital tuner instead. There is a $100 difference in it, and the computer would have 50GB less storage.

The reason I am wondering is the computer route offers me the opportunity to upgrade components myself at small cost, where as the Sony I am dedicated to their update schedules if any, and cannot upgrade components. However, I have already converted my main computer into a HD TV recorder - dropped a card in and increased RAM and HDD size. This is fine and works well except I get a lot of pixelation from time to time - which I am blaming on the long extension on the aerial. As we are renting until our new home is built I was not going to bother too much with the aerial until we got into the new house.

Anyone got any thoughts?

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Hello David,

Welcome to the forum!

It depends heavily, I guess, on what you want to achieve. If you are planning to go to HD DVD soon (and Blu-ray), I'm not sure if proper readers (drives + software) will be available soon on HTPC.
    If you're waiting until the HR format war is over (which may take a long time, but in that case solutions on PC will become available, I believe), your choices might be easier.

Cees

3. DavidBW

DavidBW Auditioning

Thanks for that comment.

I am in Australia, and frankly we won't be upgrading to the new DVD formats until the situation stabilises and most of the videos at our local shop are in one of the formats.