i am blaming the server

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jun 24, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have a personal website.

i uploaded a bunch of jpgs. i am SURE they were uploaded. but when i open the page, only 3 pictures showed up. the rest of them looked like missing links.

is it the fault of the server? i mean, if i open the page from my hard disk, everything shows up perfectly.

i emailed tech support, they told me to check the name of the files since it is case sensitive. well, everything is in lower case.

advice please.

2. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Well, the first thing to do is check the directory you uploaded to and make sure you actually transferred the files there. Or, if the directory is publicly viewable, you can just type in the URL to the pics that you think are missing. For example, http://yourdomain.com/pics/jpeg1.jpg
    If the pics are there, then double-check your links. It's possible you got the wrong directory in a link (if your pics are in a different folder than you link to).

3. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

More than likely your ISP uses unix for the web server. If this is the case, make sure the permissions on the jpegs are set to world readable. If you're using the command line to FTP into the server, you should be able to issue a "chmod 755 file.jpg" command to change the permissions. If you're using an ftp client, like WS-FTP, you can use it to change the permissions for you.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    When you check the image properties using your html program, what is the link of the image? (pick any one that does not show up) I have seen it where the image property has the file path of your computer by mistake for example c:mypagepage1image2.jpg instead of the location on the server.

Check it and let us know.

Also verify using the FTP program that all of the images are there in their correct place with the correct names.

5. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i just got a response from the tech support.
    everything was right, except the fact that some of the files had .JPG instead of .jpg.
    i have no idea what is that.
    http://vhylynx.net/family_album_page...x_month_15.htm
    that is the page in question, thank you for your replies, guys.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Ah ok, well thats a common problem. File names are case sensitive, so all you had to do was put ".JPG" in the URL instead of ".jpg". Glad you got your answer though.