I am beginning my DIY Shiva, any extra advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam C., Mar 10, 2003.

1. Adam C.

Adam C. Stunt Coordinator

Today I began my DIY Shiva with the PE 250 watt amp. I am going with the EBS design from adire's website. I am only able to work on this for an hour or two each day so it might take all week.

Today I got all of the MDF cut.

Tomorrow (tuesday) I am going to cut the holes in the braces, do the cut outs for the amp, and driver. Possibly start some gluing and clamping. It is also good that I can only do a little at a time because I only have 4 bar clamps. I think it will be easiest to use a hole saw to cut the holes in the braces, but I only have a 2" hole saw. Adire says to use 4" holes, should I just make twice as many holes that will be 2"?

Wednesday, I plan on finishing the clamping and gluing

Thursday, I want to prime and sand the whole box, making sure to use lots of primer on the corners where the MDF has been cut.

Friday, coat one of a yet-to-be-determined painted finish

Saturday, final coat of finish

Sunday, mount driver and amp and head back to school

BTW, I am on spring break this week and also working so I have to have this finished by Sunday.

If there is anything that I missed or any tips please post them.

Thanks for any help.

2. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator

Adam,

You forgot ALOT of patience. [​IMG]

3. TimForman

TimForman Supporting Actor

Since nobody will see the holes in the braces you could use a jigsaw and use the hole saw money for something else. It's surprising how well you can cut a round hole if you take your time and let the saw do the work.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

MDF eats hole-saws for breakfast. I've gone through 2 of them and I won't be using them again for cutting MDF.

5. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

7-8 days...aww c'mon. I finished my 100L sealed Tempest in 2 days when I went in for my Mardi Gras break. Living in an apartment sucks...I crave that mdf dust... Just kidding be sure to post pics when you get it all done. That should be a low end monster.

6. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

I hope everything sticks to schedule for you. I tried to plan ahead and got blown away! lol

Just keep at it and don't get stuck working around other people's schedules and you should be fine though. And let us know how its going!

7. Adam C.

well now I am done for tuesday.

I got all of the cutting finished (except for the cutout for the amp).

I glued and screwed together the internal bracing. Then I got the front and two sides glued together and are clamped as I type this.

Tomorrow before work I plan on taking the clamps off and putting on two more sides so they can sit while I am at work. Hopefully after work I can glue and clamp the rest together.

8. Adam C.

wednesday is now complete.

I fell behind a bit as I have just one more side to gule and clamp tomorrow before I can sand and primer.

Today took longer because I was a little off on the interneal bracing and then I cut the driver cut-out too large[​IMG] and also cut one of the port holes an inch off[​IMG]

Good thing these will be on the bottom but I think they will end up looking fine after I finish it.

9. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Yep, something always ends up going a bit off schedule, but don't let it bother you, it sounds like you're still doing great on time!

10. Adam C.

anyone have any sugestions for what I should finish it with?

Many in other threads have said to use black hammered. What are some other options I should consider?
    Thanks

11. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

12. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

Yep, skip the hammered if you're in a time crunch. I just started mine and its going to take a week to paint it alone. But... if you think you might want to do this in the future, you can always throw on a quick basecoat. I primed the whole thing white (primer/sealer - the edges soak up a lot) then put a basecoat of flat black on before I started the hammered finish. And it looked really good in the plain black! It would be fast, and then you can always do something else later.

13. Adam C.

thanks for letting me know that the hammered takes a bit longer than I have. I do not want to leave it naked so I think I'll primer it and then use a base of black for now.

One question, should I spray paint or roll on the black?

14. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

I did the black Hammer and the bed liner recently. I prefer the bed liner by far over the Hammer. The Hammer is not black- more silver/grey. Also the bed liner was easier to put on, is more durable, and looks better to my eyes. It scatters light and doesn't draw attention to itself. It looks just like the SVS box subs and HSU subs. BTW you can recoat the bed liner in about 5-7 minutes- and dries overnight. If you do decide to go with the Hammer I would go with the roll on to get an even coat. IF you go with the duplicolor bed liner from Wal-mart spraying is great because you can adjust the amount of texture you want. Email me if you go with the bed liner and need some tips on how to apply it.

15. Adam C.

Kyle,

sent ya an email

16. Adam C.

well something else is throwing off my plans. I have the whole box together and stuffed, I just have to do the final sanding today.

I was planning on primering the box today but it is only 25 degrees out today and I cannot finish it in the house because we have brids that are sensitive to the funes. So looks like I'll have to push everything back and day and only have one day to put on the finished coat.

Update:

I am finished for Thursday. I have the whole box glued, clamped, and sanded. I also finished the feet of the box.
    If it is warm enough I will get the whole box primered tomorrow.

17. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator

Adam,

I did that when i was youger. I was spray painting in my room and had to go to the Emergency room. I couldn't breathe becuase of the fumes. That was one of the dumbest thing i did in my younger life[​IMG]

18. BrianJ>Y

BrianJ>Y Stunt Coordinator

whoops, posted in the wrong thread...[​IMG] That's what happens when you have 2 windows open, hehe.

19. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

If you just want to get a quick but acceptable finish on, I would either roll on some black (spraying is hard to get even) or go with the sprayed on bed liner. The advantage to the plain black is that you can always just paint over it later, but if you like the finish of the bed liner, go that way.

I have a quick question for those of you who did the hammered finish... I like the look of it, and have sprayed 2 sides of my sub, but with the spray its really hard to get a good consistent finish without streaks on a large panel. Is the roll on any easier, and does it still give the same effect?

20. KyleGS

KyleGS Second Unit

The roll on will yield a more uniform coat. When spraying you tend to get a mist that floats to already coated areas leaving that streaky uneven look. No matter how I tried it I also got that not so uniform coat. I tried everything. I'm glad I recently tried the bed liner b/c it was much easier, more durable and better looking.