What's new

I AM ANGRY, Need advice ASAP (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
I bought a JVC 36" HDTV back in July 2003, about 6 months ago. It was a floor model but i thought for the price, i would go with it.

It had purity problems since the first day, i had a first tube put in October but the problem was still there.

I had another tube put in Today (Friday Jan 2, 2004) and it looks pretty well, but still not perfect.................

But here is why I am pissed...

When the 2 repair men were lifting it (200 pound tv) off the tv cart and laying it face down on a phonebook, i heard a DROP noise. I was in the kitchen but i heard the older guy say to the younger guy "That will do", and i remember the younger guy saying something about he wasnt sure where to grab the tv.

Well I wasnt very concerned at the time, but the new tube went in and it wasnt perfect but it was better.
This was done about 11:30 am....

Twelve hours later now, I am organizing all my dvd's on the shelf on the tv cart when i decided to look to see if there were any marks. Then i went to look on the right side and right down at the bottom on the side near the front of the tv IS A CRACK about 1 inch long going down.

I would post a picture on here but i dont know how to upload them on this forum.

I AM PISSED.....what can be done here?

Justin_T

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I feel your pain and unfortunately you are probably not going to be able to do anything about the crack. Since you did not say anything or notice it while the repairmen were there, it's a good chance you can't make a complaint on it now. BUT, you CAN, however, take that TV back if you have a 30 day return policy. I sure as hell would. You described you heard a "drop" noise. That right there would be enough to concern me with future problems with the set. The crack evidence alone tells you how much damage or hurt could've been done to the inside of the unit. Don't let it haunt you further down the road. If possible to take that TV back, do so immediately

JoshuaT

Stunt Coordinator
Yikes! That is super shady! Where did you purchase this TV? I would call the manager immediately and tell him/her your concerns about the damage. The longer you wait, the longer they have to deny your claim.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
well i went to the store i bought it at today and sat down with one of the managers. I showed him some pictures i took and told him the whole story from replacing the tube 2 times to the story yesterday about them dropping it.
He said he will call service on monday and talk to them and he will call me on monday too...

they better not deny it.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
You can do that but they really cant do anything. The BBB that is. Sure it looks bad on the store if anyone checks them out w/ the BBB but as to them being able to actually do anything, there isn't. Sometimes the letter sent from the BBB to the store about the situation causes the store to take it more seriously, so that might help.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
i would rather send it to the repair shop (service)
they are the ones that committed it, and if they deny it on monday, they will be sorry

i wont let this go, i heard the drop and heard the guys comments after it happened.

i will have the last laugh if they deny.

give me store credit.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
"i wont let this go, i heard the drop and heard the guys comments after it happened."

Then why didn't you call them on it right then??

You may have really hurt your case by calling up days later. They can deny they did it and be 2 against 1.

Brent

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Depending on Monday's outcome, I would suggest you do what you may should have done on the day it occurred: Call JVC directly, and be persistent until you are put in touch with someone who has decision-making authority. You are owed a functioning, blemish-free TV — what you paid for in the first place.

Don't settle for a runaround maneuver; insist on speaking with a manager and insist on a new unit.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
I didnt wait 2 days, i noticed it later in the day after they installed new tube. Obviously at that time, it was too late to call or anything. I then went to the store the next morning

on the day what occured?

the day i got it and noticed color problems....or the day the service guys broke it?
Please help me out here, calling JVC sounds like a good idea if mondays outcome is not what i am hoping for.
Now if i call JVC up, there are different JVC centers on their Website. The New Jersey one would be closest to where im at. Would i call them up? And i guess i take them through everythign that has happened over the last 6 months from the 2 new tubes to the repair men breaking it?
I would like to get everything set for if and when i have to caLL them so i know what i have to say.
thanks.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Jerry

You need to seperate the issues, being:

1. A set needing repair (twice)
2. a set broken during service

Id not try to discuss both issues at the same time as you will confuse them.

Best of luck!

Gregg

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
They are 2 SEPARATE ISSUES.

Which do you want addressed and how?

An attorney once told me, when a complantant comes in and files a complaint, it is taken seriously. When a complantant comes in and files multiple complaints, they are usually FOS.

FWIW

Gregg

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Being a "floor model" I would guess it was sold "as is" pretty much wiping out any claim against the original defects. The crack is probably the only angle that is worth pursuing.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
what does "as is" mean?

so what would that "as is" mean for a tv?

but how would they fix the crack? they could replace the whole front plastic housing, if that is possible to find just the front of this year old model.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

It means you accept the product as being sold to you without any implied or expressed warranties. In short, if it breaks, you fix it. If you get it home and it explodes or doesn't perform as a new model should then you cannot seek remedy from the retailer. Whether the manufacturer's warranty would apply is something you would have to check in the manufacturer's statement of warranty. There may also be some state laws addressing items sold "as is".

It's usually never a good idea to buy a floor model TV. The contrast will have been cranked to the max likely creating burn-in on the shadow mask making your whites tinged with brown and I would wager that blurriness comes from that too. Floor model electronics are usually abused like you wouldn't believe.

Jeremy Scott

Second Unit
well on the receipt here, it does says ITEM AS IS....but then why would they offer a 3 year extended warranty to me, which i recieved???

I know floor models are not a good idea, but i bought it 6 months ago before i found this forum so i was really unknowledgeable back then.

For burn in issues, wouldnt a new tube replacment take care of those problems , cause i will tell you all right now, this picture tube looks better then any sony i have ever seen....i have never seen a tube set look so crystal clear after i calibrated with AVIA.

but my main concern here is the crack, not the tube now.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

So get it dealt with. Physical damage is not a warranty issue here. there is no manufacturer warranty ... it is in the court of the repair shop itself ...

They broke it, they have to remedy it ...

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks