What's new

I am absolutely lost, what speakers should I get? (1 Viewer)

20s2k03

Grip
Real Name
JC
Hey guys! I am new to the forum, but have always loved home theater systems. I've usually just tampered with HTiB systems, but just got out of the Air Force so I want to really dive into my own quality system. I just purchased an Onkyo TX-SR608, and I am not sure what speakers I should put with the receiver. I have a 750sqft media room. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Welcome to the forum. Please include a budget or I'll suggest this - http://egglestonworks.com/products/the-ivy/ ($55,000 each) In all seriousness, what speakers have you auditioned? This is like asking 30,000 people what vehicle you should buy without giving us any other information. Even if you have a budget of $250,000 does that mean you want a Ferrari or a Peterbilt?

20s2k03

Grip
Real Name
JC
Haha sorry for the lack of detail, I haven't really been had the opportunity to go out and try all of the brands I see bouncing around the forum constantly, or much of anything for that matter. A friend of mine had Sony SS-F5000 and swore on them, I enjoyed them, but I wasn't blown away by the speakers, and they really seemed to lack sound quality. As for my budget, I would like to stay around $2000 for the speakers!

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yeah, Sony is not really a speaker company. I suggest going out and listening to as many speakers as you can. See what YOU like. For the sub, checkout internet direct companies like SVS and HSU. While your online also checkout Axiom Audio and other internet direct speaker companies. With a $2000 budget I would say spend about $500-700 on the sub and the rest on your speakers. Don't rush. Take your time and do your research. Good luck.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
What those guys said. You probably wanted some "these are the best" advise, but of all the components of a home theater, speakers are the most personal; you can compare two quality sets and like one but not the other. So you really have to try them out. Of course, trying them out is harder these days with fewer places to go to listen to them, so that's why we recommend using a respected internet manufacturer with a good return policy. It may cost you a few bucks to audition (returns are usually $50-100), but it's better than being stuck. If you want to start in the audio middle, Canadian manufacturers are known for making "neutral" speakers, with very little coloration. So companies like Axiom, PSB, and Pardigm are good choices. Axiom gets a lot of recommendations because they are also a very good value. (Full disclosure, I have Axioms.) On the flip side, we tend to stay away from speakers sold by mass electronic manufacturers. Speakers sold by Sony and the like are at best middling. The coloration thing is not true with a sub, there's no coloration at the low frequencies, so you can just buy a quality sub without auditioning it. Hsu and SVS are well known.

20s2k03

Grip
Real Name
JC
Al.Anderson said:
If you want to start in the audio middle, Canadian manufacturers are known for making "neutral" speakers, with very little coloration. So companies like Axiom, PSB, and Pardigm are good choices. Axiom gets a lot of recommendations because they are also a very good value. (Full disclosure, I have Axioms.)
I knew I had seen these somewhere! Sorry, I completely forgot but my fiances dad uses Paradigm speakers with a Yamaha receiver. I really like the way his sounds, except it seems that the speakers have trouble complete the full range of sound. The lows are incredible, and body shaking, the mids are strong and obviously evident, but it seems like a lot of the movies or songs I have listened to on his system lack some of the high notes and make the whole song/movie deep and like it missing something. Could this be his tuning? or the speakers?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
... my fiances dad uses Paradigm speakers with a Yamaha receiver. I really like the way his sounds ...
Okay, we're on the right path!
... but it seems like a lot of the movies or songs I have listened to on his system lack some of the high notes and make the whole song/movie deep and like it missing something. Could this be his tuning? or the speakers?
It could a number of things, including the speakers. It could be placement, if he tried to get them high and out of the way that would diminish the highs. It could be room "treatments" (what's in the room). If he has a lot of soft items (thick curtains, heavy couches, thick rug) that would suck out the highs. If he didn't calibrate the system (using either something built into the receiver, like Audyssey; or a meter and a calibration disc), then he could be off in a number of ways, including lack of highs. And of course, it might just be that those speakers are good, but not perfect for you. Although, I will say that most people hear "neutral" as "higher", so I'd look into the other things first. Since he has speakers that you kind of like, you could use his as a base. Bring any speakers you want to audition over to his place and compare them side by side with the Paradigms. (You can usually set them up on the "B" channel. And put the "A" channel in stereo mode so it's a fair comparison.) Also, it's worth pointing out that even a little bit of extra volume will always make a speaker sound better. So if you do get to perform side-by-side comparisons, try and get the volume the same. This is even true with an A/B switch, as one set of speakers will usually be more efficient than the other.

20s2k03

Grip
Real Name
JC
That makes a lot of sense, he wasn't really going for a HT, but he wanted a nice system to watch movies. The speakers are in a large family with a 2 story ceiling, where the back of the living room is opened up into the kitchen, and the sides on the first floor opens up to the garage door AND the front door, and the second story is a balcony from the bedrooms looking down. It's hard wood, the couches are not real dense, and no curtains so I know thats not a problem. BUT the way you described the speaker placement sounds pretty spot on. The center is above the subwoofer and in plain sight at ear level so I think thats fine, but the front L/R speakers are up on top of his shelving units that are built into the wall flanking his fireplace with the TV mounted above it. The speakers are about 2nd story level AND behind some thick wood/molding. As far as the surround sound speakers go, they are on the wall, but also at a 2nd story level. I know this explanation might be confusing so ill get over there sometime this weekend and take pictures to explain it more understandably.

20s2k03

Grip
Real Name
JC
mccambley said:
Your future father in laws set up sound like a disaster.
Before I was really into home theater systems, I thought his was amazing, but after going out to P&T yesterday in my free time (local home audio dealer), I am surprised just how much his system is lacking! I never realized, its like a night and day difference, not including the "highs" I told you I felt it lacked! I did exactly what you said to do though, Casey. I brought a few CDs and DVD down with me and they say my in front of their audio demo room, I guess it would be called....
StoreSpeakerArea_320w.jpg
I really enjoyed what I was hearing, but I would like to still look around some more, cause I feel like they had a very limited selection!

20s2k03

Grip
Real Name
JC
I just got some pics of my future in law's set up so you guys can see what hear I am talking about and see if that's why I struggle to hear the high notes.
PART_1316057151551.jpg
PART_1316057029124.jpg
Here is a look at his front speakers behind the molding on top of the shelves
PART_1316056977849.jpg
I apologize for the crappy cell phone pics but I think it at least gets the point across!

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
Yes, I think we can now definitively confirm that your fiances's father's set-up is a disaster. He bought good components and then proceeded to really botch the installation. He doesn't have a particularly "soft" room (which wouldn't be a mistake, but would need to be accounted for), but everything else is bad. Including the TV set over a fireplace, which puts it near heat, and probably worse, too high for comfortable viewing. The front speakers are much too high (the rears are okay, at least they're angled down), and the center isn't centered. Is he using centers for L/R? That's not terrible, but probably mucks with the horizontal dispersion. (On the other hand, it may help offset placing them so high.) Oh, and the sub is in an alcove. I'm guessing the low end is either boomy or non-existent. But unless you plan on knocking him off and inheriting the setup, or insulting him so you can get out of the impending marriage - shouldn't we be concentrating on your speakers? BTW, there is a silver lining to the father's set-up, your fiance is used to this and shouldn't pull the WAF crap when you get in your own place. Also, yours will sound so much better, so she'll be impressed. (They always compare you to their dad!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks