What's new

I am about to do a very horrible thing (long) (1 Viewer)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Shortly after Christmas, my boss, errr girlfriend, said she would like some stereo equipment for her dorm room (she is in med school, btw, i hate baltimore, passionately, why couldnt she go to a nyc school?). We were still buying her Christmas gifts (basically I took her shopping for Christmas) and I said okay.

After of lot of thinking, and some actual listening, I decided that to meet her requirements of needing a tuner and a cd player and everything must be brand new, that the only "high end" brand that had a stereo tuner that I was willing to pay for was NAD, and that was the C740 and C730...Well online, you can get the C740 for $400ish...And I thought to myself, for that kind of money, I could buy her a decent AV receiver. I figure next year she will be moving into an apartment and I will probably be told to buy her a TV (hello samsung) and a dvd player (hello panasonic, maybe give her my denon 1600 so i can get a universal, yeah, smart thinking) and the receiver will have a decent shot of being used in a hometheater role.

So I decided to nuke the NAD C740 and look at receivers in the $400 to $600 range.

So I went to a few stores, did some research, and for what she needs, I have decided that there is one standout choice. And god, this choice is a horrible thing to bear, because this may be the ugliest receiver on the face of the earth. This is something that looks up to the outlaw 1050, and says damn you are ugly, but i wish, oh sweet jesus i wish i was only as ugly as you. Thats right, I'm getting her the H&K AVR 520. I mean seen roadkill with fewer clashing colors and more refined than the H&K.

I looked at the NAD T761, the AVR 525 (can get that shipped from 6ave.com for little over $600 now, but i dont like the fan, i hate fans), and a few others from marantz, yamaha, outlaw and others (in case you are wondering, i ruled out onkyo, denon, kenwood, panasonic, pioneer, jvc, and sony, i just don't like those brands).

Why the AVR 520 you ask? well, it is the most flexible inputs of these (except for the H&K 525, but it even has some flexibility benefits compared to the 525) . Probably, outside of the NAD, the best amp section, and given that my boss, err girlfriend, likes classical music and unbeknownest to her she has a decent collection of hdcd encoded cd's and the H&K's were the only receivers I saw that had that decoding in this price range. Also, they have logic 7. The NAD did not have assignable digital ins and my friend has it and I don't like the fan. It also had some quality control issues and no DPL2. In the end, I didn't care for the amp sections in the Marantz. And for the money I didn't think the Outlaw could compete with 520, no dpl2, only a few digital ins, no hdcd, etc.

So now, I am about to buy the little lady (she is little actually, 5'1) an AVR 520 and pair of PSB Image 3LR's for her dorm room, and when she is ready to move to her apartment in 9 months or so, i will get her some image 5T's or 6T's for fronts, a 9c and subsonic 6 all fairly cheaply. She will inherit my marantz 4000OSE CD carousel to go with her stuff (btw, i borrowed my friends integra carousel, bought that marantz, bought the rotel rcc 955, and borrowed a friends older kenwood cd caurosel, and DBT'd all of these cd players through my system and we (two friends and I) were not able to discern the difference between any of these cd players, i am not saying that there are no differences, but given my system and the somewhat poor room acoustics which I can't do anything about, buying those two "highend" cd players offered no additional utility, but i wanted to test them anyway, so i guess i got the benefit of knowledge, for whatever that is worth, oh yeah, about negative $900 on two expense cd players).

So here I am about to give her this decent stereo (for now) system, but god, that thing is ugly and the psb's are not that nice to look at either.

Funny thing is, I asked her to look at the H&K just to see if she complained about how it looked. When I asked her, she said, they all look the same. So I shouwed her a TGIII (which I consider to be gorgeous), a silver faced Rotel 1055, she has seen my black faced Rotel 1055, and that H&K and she just said, they all look like boxes with lights, none looks better than the other. Had to just stare at her for that. To say that there is no aesthetic difference between the TGIII and the H&K is rather disturbing to me. Made me realize, what the hell does she think of my looks? Look, there is a bear, does that look different than me? I cringe at the thought of her answer. "well, if the bear was fat and was prematurely balding, you could be twins" I expect to be her answer....

Btw, feel free to comment on the system. I wanted to keep it under $1000, and nothing is absolutely set in stone, and I can do this for $850 or so, all costs included (well, not the cost of the marantz, but thats a sunk cost anyway)

Thanks,
Rich

Peter Loan

Second Unit
Honestly, I don't think she cares one flippin' bit. Most women would be happy with an AIWA boombox. Why do you think Bose gets so much business? Anyways, I didn't know people still bought NAD gear, but the HK 520 seems like a pretty good choice.

TimothyE

Stunt Coordinator
Agree with previous post.

Are you buying it for her or for you?

If it's for her, get her something inexpensive and take her somewhere VERY NICE with the change. Believe it or not, she'll get more mileage with that.

I know several women who love the looks of the h/k - it's unique.

Best wishes,

Tim

kevitra

Second Unit
This is something that looks up to the outlaw 1050, and says damn you are ugly, but i wish, oh sweet jesus i wish i was only as ugly as you.
That was very, very funny.

What do you think of your 1055? What speakers are you running with it?

Bill Will

Screenwriter
From my experience with women & electronics they really don't care about the looks but make sure you get her one that has a remote that is easy to understand & operate or you'll never hear the end of it :D

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
actually, she commented on the difference between my system and her father's.

she actually was trained for about 10 years to be a professional clarinet player at a fairly prestigious school and almost did take that path.

she made some interesting comments on the differences between my rotel/B&W system and her dad's onkyo/denon/mission system. Granted my system is newer and more expensive and some difference but should be obvious, but she pointed out things about my system i didn't notice, in particular to some of the brass instruments.

Kevitra,
I have the Rotel 1055 mated to 2 pairs of B&W DM605S'2s and the LCR6 center (the larger of the two centers from the S2 series). I consider the DM605's to have been a mistake. Not cause of the quality, actually they are pretty good, but because I topped out that line and have to start fresh if I want to move up. If I bought the nautilus 804 fronts and 805 as rears (spent a little more), i could move the bookshelves to the bedroom (or give them to the woman), moved the 804s to the back and bought 803 or 802's for fronts. Now if I want to move up and have an entire timbre matched 5.1 system at one time, I have to shell out large bucks.

As for the Rotel. I have mixed feelings about it. Previously, I owned a Carver C1000a, which sells on ebay used now for about the same price as the rotel (just saw one go for 1375 on ebay).

The advantages of the Rotel, much easier to use, much newer decoding, 7 channel audio in vs the db25 5 channel connect of the carver, much easier to use as a pre-amp, updateable firmware, a company that not only has very good service but is more stable and a strong dealer connection.

The disdavantage of the Rotel compared to the Carver; weaker amps, weaker in 2 channel stereo, not as engaging, maybe a little too warm. However, I am not saying that the Rotel doesn't sound good. People who buy the carver are spending all that money on it for primarily one thing, the pure quality of its sound and the its amps. It has a really powerful amp section. The Carver basically is about 1.5-2.0 years out of date. It has the old THX standard 6 channel audio in and out, it doesnt have dpl2, it doesnt have digital bass management, component in/out, etc etc. So you it could be argued that its the most powerful and best sounding receiver you can buy for $1400, and comparing the Rotel to that and saying it sounds inferior may be unfair, as the rotel can do a lot of things the carver can not. If someone asked me could I have bought a better sounding receiver for the $1200 that I paid and is a brand new model, I would say maybe, but I doubt there is anything significantly better.

My plan is to buy a separate amp and use it as a pre, until I finally decide on a pre that I want. The Rotel should perform admirably in that function. However, if I had to chose between the two, the Carver and the Rotel, and was to only listen to cd's and couldn't use any other amplification, I would choose the Carver, without a seconds pause.

As for the Outlaw 1050 comment, thanks, I was laughing when I wrote it.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Rich have you seen the new Rotel RSP1098 pre pro...its what I dream about now:) (when HTG gets back online there's some pics in club rotel)

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
No, the only details i have seen on the 1098 was on your website. I am very interested in it.

I will be looking at the naim av2, the anthem, the sunfire, parasound, krell and others...i couldnt find any info on the 1098...

Andrew, do you know if the latest firmware update for the 1055, does it remove the clicking sound from the speakers when changing volume? im starting to find it annoying enough to actually make the effort. the other issue, and I wonder if rotel will upgrade it for free, is that i have the version with limited component video bandwith, but i think rotel needs to update that itself.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Rich there's nothing to loose by trying the new firmware..not sure if it will fix your problem or not though. There's 1098 pics here

Yogi

Screenwriter
make sure you get her one that has a remote that is easy to understand & operate
Yes even if it sounds like crap make sure it has an easy to operate and intuitive remote. Women and complex remotes dont go hand in hand.

RobCar

Stunt Coordinator
>This is something that looks up to the outlaw 1050, and
>says damn you are ugly, but i wish, oh sweet jesus i wish
>i was only as ugly as you.

LOL! This thread raises an interesting question that doesn't seem to get much airtime ... Just how important are looks to people when selecting components? Personally, it's definitely a factor for me, 'cause the equipment invariably ends up in such a central/visible location in the living room.

Why the electronics industry is suddenly forcing silver components on us is a mystery to me. And the gold stuff, yuck. Why is it that I'm having trouble finding a black tv?

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
well for me, i chose the best component without regard to looks both the former and latter being subject to my opinion.

however, if someone repackaged the h&k and it was exactly 100% the same but prettier cosmetics and charged $50 more, i would pay the $50, without thinking twice.

as for the remote, i agree 100%....however, all i have to do is convince her to leave the cd player on, program the cd players into the h&k and all she will need to learn is, power on the H&k hit either tuner or cd player, if tuner, choose station or tune with the appropriate keys, or hit disc # and play....

shouldnt be too hard...

of course, she abosolutely couldntg figure out how to turn on my old carver, tv, etc. using the remote. i even blew up a picture of it, provided step by step sequence of turning things on with arrows to the appropriate buttons, all in color and it was well beyond her, and to think she wants to be a cardiologist....

Rich

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
The disdavantage of the Rotel compared to the Carver; weaker amps, weaker in 2 channel stereo, not as engaging, maybe a little too warm.
Rich, why don't you try outboard amps for the front 2 channels to see if you get a more pleasing (to you) sound for stereo. As a bonus, the 1055 will let you run the front amps for the rear centers in a 7.1 setup. The only problem is that you may notice the center amp mismatch for multichannel material.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
Craig, that is exactly in my plans. However, I won't have 7 channel anytime soon, so while the reassigning of the channels is nice, it offers no real benefit to me.

I have to decide on a nice 2 channel amp, I was thinking about the 380 watt rotel, but that is, a tad overkill.

I will consider my options, just dont have time right now.

Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks