I am a social pariah because I don't like sports!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JasenP, May 23, 2002.

1. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    I don't enjoy watching any sports on television and I don't play any of the "social sports" such as Golf, Tennis, or racquetball. I have nothing against those who do, but others seem to be disappointed when they ask me about "The Game" last night and all I have to offer is a blank stare.

Sports analogies are completely lost on me and when the conversation shifts to sports I sort of zone out and wait for the next topic. I've never seen a Superbowl or and World Series game.

I have traced the origins of my lack of an interest in sports back to when I was a young child. A medical problem prevented me from playing rough when I was younger and consequently, I didn't have a lot of the same interests as the boys who were allowed to play football and the like... I enjoyed other things that boys like, sports just wasn't one of them.

Junior High and High School were where others began questioning my sexuality and social worth. Like many others I eventually found my circle of friends whom I am a still friend with today. My girlfriends have all been thrilled that I don’t speak stats or watch sports on television.

I only bring this up because I am curious if any others find themselves treated differently because they too don't care about sports.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So what sort of conversations can you start up with strangers if sports is not one of the options? (And the weather doesn't count). [​IMG]

3. JasenP

JasenP Screenwriter

Jasen
    Art, movies, politics, religion, world events, literature, technology, etc.... [​IMG]

4. Fredrik E

Fredrik E Stunt Coordinator

I am like that, too. I'm totally uninterested in sports and in watching sports on the TV. (Except the Soccer World Cup (especially Sweden vs. England [​IMG]) and some of the formula 1 events, like Monaco grand Prix).

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

Does watching IRON CHEF count as a sport? Otherwise, no. I don't play sports. I played sports when required in Highschool, thats about the last time. But I rarely bothered to go to school (cause I usually had something better to do, like sleep), so I can't say if I was treated differant.

In my post-highschool years I got tired of people asking me who "my team" was, so I picked the RAMS (Nobody knew who the RAMS were), then somebody had to sell thier soul to Satan, and the RAMS won the superbowl (!?!).

These days my exercise consists of Tae-Bo and free weights. Neither of which are really "sports", and my only physically engaging hobby is billiards (Also not a sport).

Now than, is life more difficult because of my lack of appreciation for sports? I don't drink in sports bars, and I don't know why people can't pronounce "The Celtics" correctly, other than those two stipulations, It's never even come-up in life.

6. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

I am close enough to being in the same boat. I enjoy baseball but only half as much as I used to. I only watch the superbowl for the commercials and hate collegiate sports. Too many people who would never get into college without an athletic scholarship for my tastes.
    As for the lingo, I know enough to not feel like a total outcast when my co-workers talk. [​IMG]

7. andrew markworthy

Same here - I'm probably the one heterosexual male Brit who couldn't give a toss about the (soccer) World Cup. The irony is that in my youth I was pretty good at sports: played for my school at basketball and discus, represented my college at table tennis. I also played golf to a reasonable handicap. However, my heart wasn't in it. I don't *dislike* sport or people who are really keen on it, but it just doesn't remotely grip me either intellectually or emotionally.

Okay, the one exception is women's high diving:b.

8. Kevin Farley

Kevin Farley Second Unit

As for me, I'm a skateboarder (among other things, surfer, snowboarder, etc.) which started in 1976 when I was 10. (see, I sucked at regular sports, and this one, which didn't require being good, I could advance at my own pace, no coaches yelling, etc. It was paradise) and although I pay passing attention to other sports, I tend to be in the same boat. But I can talk about the xgames (uggh.) or the olden days, when it wasn't ALL about handrails. So I feel where you're coming from...

Kevin

9. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I thought I was the only one! My wife loves the fact that I don't spend hours of my time watching sports on tv etc. I'm into muscle Cars, Jeeps, computers and Home Theater but not sports. I do get that feeling when someone asks me if I saw "the game" last night. I could say I was doing something worthy of my time, but I don't to stop an argument that I could never win.

10. Graham Perks

Graham Perks Second Unit

I don't care about sports either, except the World Cup particularly when England beats Sweden :)

As a Brit in the US people into Football/Soccer expect me to know all about the Football League and what my favourite team is etc. Either that or they expect me to know all about cricket! I just don't care about sports. It's a lot more fun playing them yourself than watching other people playing it.

Table Tennis is an amazing sport, but you rarely get to watch any.

11. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I'm sort of in the same boat as you, Jason, since I moved here from Sweden.
    I had never watched basketball, football or baseball, so I couldn't talk about that at all. Back in Sweden, I used to go to hockey and soccer a few times per season, and I kept up with how the teams were doing. Not to be more "social", just because I liked it and had always liked it.
    Here, I had no clue which teams were good, which were bad, which the players were or even the rules. I watched a few football games on TV, but football really doesn't do anything for me.
    But I've come to really like baseball and basketball, and last year's World Series was the best and most exciting sports event I've ever seen, even including the legendary (in Sweden) Soccer World Cup of 1994.
    But unless it's about college basketball or baseball, I too pretty much zone out. Nobody here cares about soccer, and few people care about hockey, so there isn't much for me to say on the topic of sports.
    Oh, except golf, which I love to watch and play. [​IMG]
    And the Olympics, which I always make a point to watch as much as I can of, just because it's a sports event so unlike any other.
    But really, I prefer to not talk about sports anyway. It's not THAT interesting normally... I'd much rather talk about politics and movies. [​IMG]

12. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

13. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

I also have absolutely no interest in watching televised sports. I can understand the "sports talk" fine when I'm eaves dropping, but I really don't join in. When people ask me what team I follow I just kind of shrugg and say "I don't really follow any sports."
    I do have plenty of non-sports things to talk about with people, so conversations never really come to a screetching halt unless the other person is only interested in sports.
    I played waterpolo and swam in high school. So if waterpolo was televised regularly I'd be tuning into that. I have been to a few football, baseball, basketball, and volleyball games but mainly just for the social aspect of hanging out with friends, checking out the girls, etc. Not to actually watch the game.
    You'd think my wife appreciates the fact that I change the channel if a football game is on, but with so many other "good" things to watch on the tube she sometimes still feels like a widow. [​IMG]
    I do tune into the Olympics because I like to see the variety of sports being played. Sometimes it's nice to see sports that you don't often see or hear about.

14. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I couldn't care less about most sports. I watch the Superbowl so that I can eat free food, and watch the commercials (when it's in HD, strangely, the party is at my house). Outside of that, I watch Speed channel, but don't really know or follow any drivers. I just like seeing people going really fast.[​IMG]
    I don't think I've ever been ostracized for it. Maybe a bit in High School (I only ran track), but I think that's because most of the cheerleaders hung out with my group of equally non-sporting friends[​IMG] (seriously). I don't do the Sunday pick up games of Basketball in the park, because I can barely dribble and walk at the same time. :b I can play a pretty good game of football, though.
    I really don't (and I really mean really) care what most think of my sporting ability. Everyone has something they can do well, and these armchair sports fiends come to me for help with their cars, home theaters, sprinkler systems, etc. (I don't do any of these professionally). If they choose to look down on me for not being able to play basketball, I return the favor (in an equally condescending manner) when they need their serpentine belt changed.[​IMG]
    Todd

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I cannot sit and watch sports on TV. Nothing can be more boring. Basketball, baseball, football...all boring. I may go to an Ice Hockey game once every couple years and that's only if I get free tickets.
    I'd like to see all these so called "professional" sports players dropped to say an average weekly salary of $1,800. Be real interesting to see how many of them really play "for the love of the game". Not very many I suspect.
    Professional sports, to me, are a complete joke.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

16. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm with you.

Being from Canada and being uninterested in hockey does leave some people shocked.

I actually find it quite annoying when some stranger steps onto an elevator with me and says something like "So how about that game last night?"

"What game?" I reply.

Blank stare.

I'm always tempted to counter with something like "So do you prefer Olivier or Branaugh's film adaptation of Hamlet?" One of these days, I'm going to do it.

17. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    I only like college basketball and college football. The pros are a bunch of overpaid cry babies, imho. There's no guarantee about an outcome in a college sport. Seems to be more competition and less predictability.

I'm more into music and science than anything else though.

18. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

I've never been into sports, either. I do occasionally watch football during the season, and always the Superbowl, but sports in general has always been just too boring for me. Now I DO like to play pool, if you can consider that a real sport, it's on ESPN so maybe it is.

19. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I was like that for many years. The I started rebuilding my house, pretty much by myself (along with a 40hr job and a 2 hr commute.)
    I was too dead to go out to clubs and see bands and such. I found sports took my mind off important things....or else I'd go insane
    If I went to the ball park I didn't feel guilty about not putting up drywall (because I would have wasted $$ on tickets)
    And the best thing was no matter how good or bad the team did, my life didn't change
    Once people start losing the prespective...it's just entertainment: like Home theater or DVDs or Music...then they get strange and the whole Violence thing rears it's ugly head

20. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I don't like sports myself. Never really did, except for basketball, which I lost interest in. I was a very sick kid, so I didn't play much sports, though I was on a soccer team for a season. All through school I was left out of conversations because I didn't see all the end games like the playoffs and Superbowl, or whatever else. I don't like sitting in of the TV for 3 hours watching people tossing balls back and forth. If I was gonna sit in front of the TV for that long, I'd rather watch a movie and be entertained or watch documentaries and learn.