What's new

I am a newbie please help (1 Viewer)

Mark_ON

Auditioning
Hello Everyone

I just finished building my basement home theatre.

My room is 11'wide and 18'long

I was planning on a 51" toshiba or 53" panasonic RPTV

Yamaha htr 5650 or 5660

Polk audio RM6700 and the PSW303 or 404

Do you think this is a good set up for the size?

Budget is 5000cdn

Thanks

P.S. Does any one have a connection in the greater toronto area?

Mark

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Sounds like a good system, except perhaps for the Polk sub. They aren’t exactly known for their stellar performance, probably they all use small drivers. I wouldn’t go with anything less than a 12-incher.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

GrahamT

Supporting Actor
Hey Mark,
Everything except the speakers. I would go with Polk R series or the new RTi's if you like POlk. Or audition some paradigms. Maybe the cinema or performance lines. In Canada we get a good deal on paradigms since they are made in Thornhill.

As for a subwoofer, I suggest maybe paradigm as well. I have a polk sub, they dont go very low. Also check www.creativesound.ca they have the adire rava for $600 cdn shipped.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
The Yamaha's rated spec versus real spec with all channels driven isn't fantastic. For that money, you could pickup a NAD T742 ($700 on clearance at Bay Bloor, among other places) which will serve you MUCH better, or $900 for the T752 which is what I'd suggest for you. If you're keen on the Yamaha, Best Buy has a package this week (thru till Thursday night) where you can pickup a Yamaha HTR5660 with JBL Northridge E series speakers, E80+E30+EC25+E150P for $2000. As well, TV wise, the Toshiba 51H83 is a good bet, and it can be had for around $2500. Perhaps if you picked up both at Best Buy they could hook you up with a good deal. That combo even leaves some room for taxes.

Alternatively, you could pickup the NAD T752 and put it with a a Paradigm Phantom+Atom+CC170+PDR10, which will run you about $1600 in speakers and the $900 for the receiver. With the TV for $2500, that puts you nicely at $5000 (before taxes).

(Although really, pricing all this stuff out won't do you any good, you should really base your audio system choices on first hand demoing,but this should give you an indication of what is possible. And remember, as far as HT is concerned, budgets are infinitely flexible ;))

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I 100% agree with Drew, although I think the NAD might be a little pricey for what's he looking for. My recommendation goes to the Harman/Kardon AVR-230. Can be had for about $370 and is an awesome piece of equipment.

Also, the Polk subs aren't that great (trust me I own one) and it's good for music but HT is somewhat boomy and I really hate it.

If you want an entry setup the speakers you suggested are good, minus the sub, also another setup to look at which is close to the Polk but I think does a better job is the Klipsch Quintets and the Athena micro system which can both be found at BestBuy, check them out if you get a chance.

As for subs, just do a comparison in a store to see what you like better for the price range, but I would honestly avoid Polk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks