I am a coke addict and I need help.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Dec 19, 2001.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Alright, I have a problem. I admit it. and I need help. That's the first step, isn't it?

I am a coke addict. I'm addicted to the stuff. I need it 2-3 times a day. I always have some in my house. When I dont have it for more than a week, I get headaches, sometimes the shakes even. I guess that's what they call withdrawal? This habbit is eating away at my funds, where I could be buying valuable DVD's.

I need help. I must find a way to curb down my use of this stuff. I don't want to be addicted to it all my life. I have grown 'bigger' and know that the coke has caused much of it. I want to get back in shape again. I also have a dentist appointment tomorrow (see other thread, by me) and it has me wondering if I'm doing my teeth harm because of the coke. Even as I write this post, I have some in front of me on my desk, not thinking twice about having it. What's the best way to stop my coke habbit? I need help please!? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Any other coke addicts in here? Maybe we'll start a support group!?

Thanks for your time.

2. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

Paul, I had the same problem as you way back when I was in college. I was drinking at least two of those super huge big gulps of coke each day.

One day during a rather stressful time at school I started getting massive back aches that took my right out. I finally went to see a doctor after a few weeks and he advised me that it was my caffeine intake that caused these problems. I had to go cold turkey and switched to Sprite and other things like V8 to quench my thirst.

Within a day I had no more pain so that pushed me over the edge and I rarely drink anything that has caffeine in it including tea and coffee.

Patrick

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I drink 4-6 cans of diet pepsi everyday. It's not really an addiction. I stop for weeks at a time when I get an OJ craving. I also back that up with about 1L of water everyday. Regular soda is evil purely for the calories. Sure they taste great... but the pounds add up. Same goes for Gatorade and juices. My advice would be to switch to a diet soda you can tolerate. I like diet pepsi but can't stand diet coke. Diet 7UP is pretty decent as well. Good luck!

4. Trevor Schell

Trevor Schell Supporting Actor

Paul,,Whatever you do !! Do not switch to Pepsi.
    It will only make things worse as your urge to for consumption will double.[​IMG]

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    My main weakness is the 12 packs. Pick one up for $3 at walmart or the corner store, and it's good for a few days. I think it's the plain convenience of it. It's a can, you crack it open and drink. Nothing to pour in a glass or mix from concentrate or anything.

I've been against "paying for water" for a long time because you can just pour it from a tap, but maybe I should start doing that for a bit, buying the convenient water bottles then gradually start pouring it from my own tap. But of course it is water, and next sunday when football's on, I will probably get the urge to have a coke and snacks. Is there anything you guys do to improve the taste of water?

I've never had actual PAINS caused by it, but minor headaches yes. I think my habbit STARTED in college like yours Patrick, everyone drank cokes, a new one in every class, and so did I. 4 classes a day = 4 cokes (usually those 600ml bottles), plus whatever was in the house.

I was forbidden to have sweets when I was a child, living with my parents. (well, excepts sometimes, as in a "reward" etc) and of course what is forbidden is desired, so here I am, drinking coke and having sweets.

6. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Pepsi is evil!
    [​IMG]

7. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

Britney vs. Christina! *grin*

What kills me right now was Office Depot was selling Pepsi products (e.g., Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Mountain Dew, Lipton Iced Tea) for $0.14/can DELIVERED. So, I'm sitting on right now approximately 600 cans of soda that were all delivered to my door (third story walk-up apartment) by UPS!

8. NiravDesai

NiravDesai Auditioning

try diet. also put generous amounts of lemon juice in it. atleast you're getting vitamin C. also dont forget to rinse your mouth out, that way u wont rot ur teeth too much.

9. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    Paul, you really should try to give that stuff up. I used to drink Pepsi like it was going out of business, until I had to have a tooth pulled last summer. My dentist told me that Pepsi is nothing more than a 12 oz can of acid and sugar and little by little, it rots your teeth. I know, nice image huh?
    At that moment, I gave the stuff up cold turkey, and have not even had the urge to drink one since. Now I drink water, tea, juice, anything but carbonated drinks.

10. Rob Longmore

Rob Longmore Stunt Coordinator

Buy shares in Coke! get some of those funds back to buy DVD's!

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I ditched my Coke habit when I got into college.

I switched to lattes...

12. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

"I feel your pain..."

I too am addicted. However, my slowly expanding waistline has pushed me to switch to Diet Coke. Think about it, if you drink four in one day, that is nearly 500 calories! With doctors recommending 2000 calories per day, that is 1/4 of your daily recommended caloric intake. I think my teeth appreciate it too.

The other benefit of the Diet Coke is that I don't drink it nearly as fast as regular Coke.

13. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

At first I was tempted to tell you to check in to a rehab center. (Cocaine is nasty stuff) [​IMG]
    You might want to limit the times that you are allowed to drink it and you didn't really say how much your intake is, so maybe you only have a small habit.
    As for the dentist, they have recently discovered that cavities are caused by a virus or something like that and you can get shots for it.
    The headachdes are just caffiene withdrawal. Maybe we need caffience patches too. If you are getting it in cans, switch to bottles and when your time (or amount) is up, screw it up tight and save it for your next fix.
    Glenn

14. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

I drink Diet Coke to satisfy my habit, although I just made the jump to expresso [​IMG] I actually love the new Diet Coke with Lemon and have been drinking about 6/day. KMart usually has nice sales where the 12 packs can be had for $2-3 each.
    However, after reading the Expresso machine thread I made that jump with a Saeco Vienna SuperAutomatica. My first week I went through a pound and half of coffee beans. [​IMG] I am trying to scale back my consumption to a more realistic pound per week :b
    The scariest part is I don't get a caffeine buzz (even from eating chocolate coffee beans). I don't even want to think what my withdrawals would be like now. [​IMG]
    Kenneth

15. Michael St. Clair

I used to pound caffeine, both in coffee and soft drinks.

Now I drink no caffeine, and most of my liquid consumption is water, plus some decaf tea and coffee. I feel SOOO much better now. Being 'level' is nice.

I think I probably have manic and addictive tendencies. If I were living the Hollywood lifestyle I'd probably have died before I hit 30.

16. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    I perform with an improv comedy group (ala Whose Line Is It Anyway). We do a game called Object Freeze, where we get objects from the audience, and have to do something funny with them. One time, I got a pack of baby wipes. I needed to do something funny, so I ate one.
    Then, recently, I tried Diet Coke with Lemon. I can, with authority, say that Diet Coke with Lemon tastes exactly like a baby wipe.[​IMG]

17. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

18. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Paul,
    I've been a solid Coke drinker for over 10 years now. Sometimes 2 liters a day in some cases. My suggestion that worked for me, switch over to Diet Coke. No calories, same acidity though. My dentist said that as far as he's concerned it's much better for the teeth. In order to get cavities you need 2 things, bacteria and sugar for them to feed on. Cut the sugar out and you won't have to worry about it rotting your teeth away.
    It wasn't an easy switch from regular to diet. It took about a week and now I absolutely love diet coke. Try the Diet coke with lemon. The lemon kills some of the aftertaste and may be easier for a newbie to handle [​IMG]
    I really hated the diet stuff at first since I was a regular drinker for so long but after that first week I was converted. Give it a shot.
    Jeff

19. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

"Pepsi is evil! "
    yep
    and evil is sin,
    and sin is forgivable
    so Pepsi is in[​IMG]
    Brent

20. TheoGB

TheoGB Screenwriter

Blimey. Good to see the first couple of posters knew you were taking the piss - I was wondering if they were just being tastless as I assumed you meant coke, not Coke.[​IMG]
    Anyhow, I had a real problem with tea and coffee, brought on by my finals and then by very dull periods at work. The BEST THING YOU CAN DO (imo) is to swtich to cold spring water. At work we have a dispenser. I don't touch any caffeine until about 10am and I don't touch any after about 5pm.
    I sleep better but what I also found was that I have more energy on cold spring water than on caffeine. It really is a panacea - water makes your skin healthier and makes your sharper.
    In fact, if you can cut out caffeinated drinks altogether (start by taking in water instead of some drinks of caffeine at times of the day like I do with mornings or evenings) then you will find your craving for chocolate will also diminish.
    Good luck. [​IMG]