I already have two boxes around, can I use them for subs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Delaflor, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Both boxes are older speakers, which I don't use anymore. They use a 10 inch driver and two tweeters. But Im thinking in open the hole to fit either two Shiva's or two Tempest and then seal them.

Other than reinforce the boxes I can't think of another reason why not. As you probably know by now, I don't know know a thing about parameters like Xmax and such things. I know that the box should be made around the driver, but, if I already have them, what should I do?

2. Harry Lincoln

Harry Lincoln Stunt Coordinator

It's best to design your box to suit your driver, although there's no reason you couldn't try it - if you dont like the results just pull the drivers out and build new cabinets for them. If you are planning to use the subs for mostly HT you should consider using ported cabinets.

Harry.

3. Manuel Delaflor

Thanks Harry, I will use them as a first approach. If that doesn't work I will do a sonosub. Im thinking in one for music and the other for HT, so I can make one sealed and the other ported.

With a program to design subs I can find out the lenght and circunference required for the port if I know the driver and box numbers?

I really want something that brings me 20Hz with authority, I have seen various proyects around the Net which reach that bass with easy.

My boxes are relatively big, 22 and 26 and 17 inch, and I plan to use either a Shiva or a Tempest.

Thanks

Edit: In fact, if somebody could run the driver's parameters along with my box numbers I will really appreciate the results!

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wow, Manuel, those are really big boxes for a speaker with a 10” woofer.

I did exactly the same thing for my DIY subs, Manuel. I had some big speakers with blown woofs, so I dropped in a pair of Shivas, and I was in business.

I think the size of your box (about 5 cubic ft.) would make it ideal for a Tempest. You might double check with Adire.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

5. Harry Lincoln

Thanks Harry, I will use them as a first approach. If that doesn't work I will do a sonosub. Im thinking in one for music and the other for HT, so I can make one sealed and the other ported.
    I have two ported subs, when listening to 2 channel music a simply stuff a rag in the ports to make them work as sealed subs. You might want to try this, unless you have seperate systems for HT and music, It's cheaper than building two subs.
    You can download a demo version of LSPcad at the adire site, it is preloaded with the adire drivers.
    http://www.adireaudio.com
    Harry.

6. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

if the box is to small they wont hit that low i have that problem i replaced my cheap subs with beter ones and left them in the same box now when i turn it up the sub botoms out

7. Manuel Delaflor

I have downloaded and played with the program. I found it difficult to use for a newbie like me. Does the graphs show actual performance? How can I know if the size of my boxes is ok for a Tempest or only suitable for a Shiva? Does the lower frequency needs to have a determinate dB number to sound right?

Im more confused than when I started to ask....

8. Harry Lincoln

Manuel, the program can be pretty confusing at first, I downloaded an instruction manual for it, I think it was from the adire site. If you search this forum for LSPcad you might find some helpful hints.

Harry.

9. Manuel Delaflor

How can I know, for sure, if my boxes are big enough fo getting 20Hz with authority using either Shiva's or Tempest's?

Sorry to ask again, but I have worked with the LSPcad software and I still don't have a clue. I run the parameters of my box and then select either Shiva or Tempest and, sure, it give me some nice graphs...

How do I jump from that to the conclusions I need?

10. Manuel Delaflor

Oh,

Thanks, really.

11. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

12. Manuel Delaflor

Ryan, thank you very much, that's the kind of answer I was looking at.

I wonder if everybody else is just tired of newbie questions, because they obviously know a lot, but don't offer to much help...

13. Manuel Delaflor

Jack,

what do you want to say?

14. Manuel Delaflor

Jack,

I feel you are right. Thanks for clarifying. It is true that I have received help here, but again, sometimes one is (really) completely lost.