I almost can't believe it - - I've gone below the 200 lb. barrier!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Brian Harnish, Jul 31, 2003.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

At long last, I have finally broken the 200 lb. barrier!! I am at 199 down from 274 and I plan on getting down to 174 at 10% bodyfat by mid October.

This has been one of the best freaking days of my life. It's been almost ten years since I've weighed less than 200!

Words cannot describe the great sense of accomplishment and self-confidence I feel now!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Dick Smyrak

Dick Smyrak Auditioning

Brian Congrats from the bottom of my heart. The scale really does go below the 2 bill mark, interesting?

3. Shane Bos

Shane Bos Second Unit

I want to get below the 3 bill mark. Around 290 would be great.

4. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Wow... How'd you do it? And PLEASE don't tell me diet and exercise, I'm too lazy!:b [​IMG]

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Wow! Congrats! I'm 10 pounds away myself.

6. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

I've got a little bit to go myself, and I never want to cross that line again. I've found a pretty good way to motivate myself though. I won't let myself buy another season set or video game until I get below each short term goal, which is a 10 pound interval. For instance, say I was at 216 and was looking forward to F-Zero GX or Simpsons Season 3, I'd have to get under the 210 limit in order to buy that item, otherwise it's off limits. But when I do break the barrier, it's like a mini-celebration complete with reward. Of course, this doesn't apply to regular DVD releases. That's just not practical [​IMG]

7. Brian Harnish

Dick- Yeah, it does. I almost began to think that the scale just stopped at 200. [​IMG]

Shane- You'll do it!! Just keep at it.

Justin- Unfortunately, you're not going to like what you hear, but yes, I did do it with diet (or, rather, changes in poor eating habits) and exercise. There really is no other way than to reduce caloric intake and burn more calories than you ingest in any given day to lose weight. You should check out the Body For Life program by Bill Phillips. That's the program I used. I just got sick and tired of being fat and unhealthy. Bill instilled me with a sense of motivation so strong I haven't looked back. I'm aiming to become as fit and healthy as I can be -- and there is no shortcut. If you have the desire, you can turn that into motivation. Once you turn that burning desire into motivation, there's no stopping you. Think of it more as a lifestyle change. You need to erase old habits and form new ones if you don't want to gain any of the weight back.

Patrick- Awesome. It takes too freaking long, doesn't it? But the results are well worth the wait, I think.

8. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

Brian, congratulations! That's a big milestone. All your hard work and dedication is really paying off. Next stop -- visible abs! [​IMG]

9. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Producer

Wow! Congrats Brian! [​IMG] That's an awesome accomplishment! [​IMG]

Me, I just recently started going to a gym again. But I'm not going often enough. (Only twice a week.) I'm sitting at about 250...love to get to under 200 again. [​IMG] (In my own defense, I've dropped about 20 pounds.)

I haven't been doing any sort of program. Just tried cutting down on junk, eating more heathy foods and the twice-weekly gym visits. (That, and I quit smoking in April 2002! YAY!)

Brian, the Body for Life program... is that a book or what? Maybe it's time I started looking into a real program. All these folks losing weight around here are starting to inspire me! [​IMG]

10. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

The best part is going to the store to buy new belts because you reached the last hole and it's still loose.[​IMG]

11. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Congrats Brian,

Through diet (reducing portions, lowering carbs, etc) and exercise, I've been under 200 for about 18 months now. At my peak I was about 220, now I'm 185 +/- a couple of pounds. Since then I've added strength training in addition to my aerobics. It is a life style change. I had gotten so disgusted with myself, I just made up my mind I was going to get back into shape. It's not fun and I can't say I really enjoy the process, but I'm pleased with the results. After awhile the diet changes just become normal, the exercising is the tough one. There are days I force myself to go. Now, I'm in the best physical shape I've been in years. Once again, congratulations and keep it up, you're really doing something important and good for yourself.

12. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Screenwriter

Chris
    Brian,

I would also like to congratulate you - and I know what it feels like. I just broke the 200 pound mark the week before last (currently at 196) down from all time high of 244. It does feel great doesn't it? My goal is to get to 185 (not really worrying about the body fat thing) It's really nice having folks around you notice as well - wife decided she was going to start calling me "Slim" yesterday.[​IMG]

Also have to agree with you - the only way this happened was through a pretty significant change in eating habits and physical activity. I basically eat one meal a day and run 3 miles every day. I'm 43 and just got sick of being the fattest one in the room half the time.

Chris

13. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> I basically eat one meal a day

Not a good idea. [​IMG]

14. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

Way to go Brian! [​IMG]

I remember when I dropped below the 200# mark. It's such a good feeling. Now I'm on my way back up to that 200# mark...on purpose. That's right. [​IMG] Gaining lean body mass while losing body fat. I'm bulking up.

15. NicholasL

NicholasL Second Unit

Cut the fat and carbs from your diet, but don't skimp on protein as that will keep your metabolism in high gear. Chicken, fish, tofu, or even protein shakes if you want to go into that (EAS is the brand to get). Get in the gym atleast 3 times a week - no excuses - and do 1-2 bodyparts a day, maybe 4 sets per bodypart, 15-20 reps per set of a light but "burning" weight. Don't forget to stretch before, during, and after.

Eat smaller meals frequently throuout the day, and avoid eating any carbs after 5pm. Don't eat before bed, cut down on the alcohol (if any).

Lift with a friend, it might help keep you motivated. And I know this is a topic of much controversy, but Xenadrine RFA (the ephedrine version) is a miracle diet pill. I know there have been dozens of horror stories, but that's only because you haven' heard the thousands of miracle stories.

I was 6 feet and 160 out of high school after I bulked up for sports, then in college I decided to cut up, so I lifted and went on the diet I listed above, took xenadrine, and now I'm 145lbs and stronger than I was at 160lbs, not to mention ripped up enough to put Bruce Lee to shame. [​IMG]

Mainly, try to eat right (not less, as everyone is correctly saying), and be active. For starters, use the stairs instead of escalators or elevators.

16. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

Congrats dude! Thats an accomplishment...I right now am 315lb. but I'm 6'5 and most of its muscle...so... [​IMG] I havent been below 200lb. for...whew...a LONG time...and Im not gonna see it again...

17. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

Wow, nice job Brian. How long did it take you?

-Marshall

18. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

> Xenadrine RFA (the ephedrine version)

Better run to the store ASAP in hopes of finding an old bottle, because they stopped making that version.

19. Brian Harnish

Marshall- It's taken me almost a year to lose this. I have a few more months before I get down to my goal of 170. I started seriously lifting and running back in September of last year with the Body For Life program. I'm going to pull a John Stone and lose the rest of this crap by October 21st. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Tony wrote: