What's new

I admit it, I'm dissapointed with the Sony 700P. What else is coming? (1 Viewer)

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
I'm wondering, what FUTURE players are in the pipeline before
the Xmas season that look like good DVD machines?
I'm looking for Progressive Scan, 2-3pulldown, no chroma
bug, best chipset, scaling, and maybe either SACD/DVD-A?
What is coming from Sony, Denon, and the like?
Before anyone asks, why am I dissapointed in the 700P?
I guess I am too sensitive to the chroma bug, the very
slow layer change and disc access, and the player is
noisy. I think my Sony DVP7000 out performs it in every
way, even comparing the interlaced to the progressive
picture. (I've had the 7000 4 years, the 700p 3 months)
I am currently not sold on the RP91, Skyworth, or many
of the current players. I am looking to the future.
--Joe
P.S. Yes, I have read Shootout II. Don't bother trying to
convince me about a player I already have (700P).
------------------
Dr. Joseph Howard
Link Removed
"Imagine what you could do,
if you could do what you imagine."

[Edited last by Joseph Howard on August 23, 2001 at 09:48 AM]

Joel Noble

Grip
May I ask why you're not sold on the RP91?
I'm just beginning to do my own research for the "next round" and the RP91 looks good from here -- which is a sign that I need to read more contrasting opinions!
Thanks!
------------------

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have too much time at the moment, so I may
give a longer answer later. However, here are a few
quickies regarding the RP91 to keep you busy.
Link Removed
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/041804.html
There are also, subwoofer issues for the DVD-A portion of
the player, the "pink" U settings bug and the left shift problem that has creeped up on a number of players.
Not to mention. I have issues with Panasonic quality control and reliability. (past experience)
But, just my opinions.
--Joe
"Back to work!"
[Edited last by Joseph Howard on August 22, 2001 at 09:41 AM]

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Joseph,
I'm in the same boat. I was looking to purchase the RP91, but after reading the FAQ, I have to admit that the information provided has me on the fence. Granted, it sounds like a great player, but there just seems to be way too many things going on with it for me to plunk down the cash. Also, it didn't do as well as I had hoped in the shootout. Yes, some of the tests they did on those players involve things that I would probably never see/hear, but nevertheless, I want a good player for the money. At this point, I feel as though I should (a) wait a bit to see if some of the issues are resolved with the RP91 and (b) wait to see what other players are on the horizon.
One more point to confuse things further...S&V seemed to really like the RP91 in the most recent issue.

Andrew P

Second Unit
I think you guys are reading a little too much into everything. This is not a life altering decision it is a purchase of a dvd player. I mean come on already.
Anyway enough of my rant, but here are a few questions. Do you currently own dvd players? If so, do you notice combing, etc?? Most of the older players comb worse than Panasonic RP91 and much worse than any player using the newer chipsets.
I would never buy a player with the chroma bug, but thats another issue. Anyway, I hope you can start enjoying your movies in progressive scan glory sometime soon instead of waiting for the next best thing, because that will always be about 6 months away and you will never get into the game.
Andy

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Joseph,
This is pretty much what you're going to get from this year's crop of players. They reviewed all the new and most of the upcoming players they could get their hands on.
I have to ask, though, at the price point you're looking at (700P=$300) how can you be disappointed? For that price there will not be a perfect DVD player. There are players in the $1000+ range that have the faults you're pointing out, how can you expect companies to release a sub $500 without those?
I think we just have to live with each player's little quirks. The trick is finding the ones you can live with. If those that you pointed out really bother you, maybe you should think about an HTPC. I've never noticed a layer change on my PC...

M

MaxY

Well there is the new JVC unit that does DVD-A, MP3, CD-R,CD-RW and Prog Scan and does not have the Chroma Bug.
It also scales letterbox non-anamorphic DVDs as well as having a zoom too.
All for under $300 somewhere near you. :)
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Don't Buy Warner Product Until they Support OAR for Everything

Carlo,
Methinks that the good Dr. paid considerably less than $300.00 for the 700P he owns as he used Sony card rebate points toward the purchase price, if memory serves....
Given the price point, I think the 700P _is_ the perfect player for right now, since none of the current crop of progressive players seems to be entirely issue free.
Once a reputable manufacturer produces a 300+ disc, error-free progressive player that can also do DVD-A, and SACD for under 1K, I'll probably upgrade. :) Until then, I'm happy!
Best,
------------------
John Holbrook
MY DVD Collection

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Joseph, max is correct about the JVC unit.A question you should ask a dealer is who makes the video processor in the dvd player.JVC uses a chip from a company called mediamatics.No chroma bugs.Yamaha has a new player for $999.00 that is basically a panasonic rp-91 but Yamaha has put their own video procesor in its unit.Do research and it will save you aches and pains later$$$$$$.

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmm... This looks interesting.
Translated from German. ( babelfish.altavista.com ) from
http://www.areadvd.de/news/2001/200108/2308200101.shtml
Pioneer: New DVD Audio/SACD Player DV-747
23,08,2001 (CR) [[[Roughly $1400 US dollars I think?]]]
Pioneer shows a DVD Jack of all trades to the IFA: The new Player DV-747A is not only DVD Audio/Video Player, but he can show also SACD Multichannel software, however, due to that completely different signal processing SACD and DVD audio, during the subsequent treatment is converted. Also otherwise the Player, which is presumably offered starting from January 2002 for a price by 1540 € in this country, shines exactly the same as its name cousin from aviation, with giantism, with the DVD Player however rather related to the configuration and the particularly high-quality processing: So MP3-CDs can be shown, likewise DVD R-S and DVD RWs. A Dolby digital and DTS decoder is integrated. For best picture and tone quality one 10-Bit/54-MHz video D/A transducer and 192 kHz/24-Bit audio DACs provide. Progressive Scan image output is likewise possible, here promises itself Pioneer a quality gain of the new progressive Scan converter " PRO 2 ".
Shifting gears...
Also, as John has noted. The 700P was essentially a freebie
for me. I used Sony points to reduce the cost of the player
to about $20. Unfortunately, (and this is my opinion only)
I am not entirely happy with it or many of the current crop
of players that I have auditioned. [[Haven't looked at the
JVC.]] I have no specific price point. I just look at
the suppossed quality of what is available, research the
hell out of it, and try to work the best deal possible. I
took a chance on the 700P because I could work it for the
price of a DVD. Ah well. I have upgrade-itis anyway, so the
search for a better player (IMHO) scrathes that need.
Also, anyone have info in Sony's upcoming DVP-NS900P? Will it do
things better this time?
--Joe
------------------
Dr. Joseph Howard
Link Removed
"Imagine what you could do,
if you could do what you imagine."

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Joe,
May I call you Joe? No really, I was in the same boat, and read a review on the Denon 2800 (about $700 retail). I'm not going to discredit any of the other suggestions here, but I think the Denon 2800 is worth a look, also you can read the review at http://www.widescreenreview.com
Marshawn

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful of the Denon2800.The June issue of Sound&Vision said it has trouble with highly saturated colors in progressive mode.They used Ben Hur as their test disc.

James D S

Screenwriter
Dr. Howard,
You may want to investigate that Pioneer hybrid player further. Unless policies change drastically over there, they will not doubt couple the killer hardware with an inferior mpeg decoder.
I would not suggest the DVD2800 to you as it displays the chroma upasmpling problem worse than your current 700P, which you stated was a major annoyance *resisting the urge to chant 'I told you so, I told you so :) * and will not yield significantly better deinterlacing as that 700P does a bang up job already and what it does not do, or at least how high a value you put on it, is subjective at best.
I think Max is onto something. Check out the JVC. Or wait for results from the Kenwood to come in. It has a real chance of changing the game significantly.
That is if you can wait that long. I know upgraditis can be crippling and there is only one cure, and waiting is not it. :)

Bob Segno

Agent
How about the Denon DVM4800 or the Yamaha S1200. I havn't read anything on either, except from Denon and Yamaha themselves.

M

MaxY

Wait!!!!
Don't buy that JVC yet!!
While it is cool to get a cheap player that can do all it can do and not have the Chroma bug I was just in Best Buy and saw an even cooler player.
A JVC XV 95 It is about the same thing as the 70/75 except it is also a 7 DVD Changer as well. They wanted $399 so I bet you get it on the net for less. It does the DVD-A, Prog Scan, CD-R CD-RW, MP3 zoom and all that other stuff but with 7 DVD/DVD-As/CDs.
I tend to prefer single disc players and if I am going to be upgrading all the time Cheap is good but thought some of you might want to hear about the 7 disc changer.
Max
------------------
Maxsig.gif

Browse My Collection of DVDs at DVD profiler
Equipment Lists for My HTs
Petition To Bring Motel Hell To DVD Check In Here
Time to resume Buying Warner Product!!
[Edited last by MaxY on August 24, 2001 at 04:23 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks