I actually started my Sonosub, so here's a couple of questions I've left until now.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dustin B, May 20, 2001.

1. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Yes, I wasn't full of hot air, I've actually started. I expect to get my Tempest and AVA250 earily this week (UPS tells me they are on their way to Regina right now, which is almost 6 hours in the wrong direction, but oh well, its UPS). Final design is an AVA250 powering a Tempest in a 260L 18" diameter sonotube tuned to 17hz with a 6" ID PVC pipe. I've cut the port, cleaned up one side of the sonotube, cut 20" squares of 3/4" MDF and glued them into 1.5" pieces.
    Spent most of tonight rigging a home made circle jig (that can make cuts of 3" radius +/- ~3/4" and 9" radius +/- ~1", which means I'm gonna have to make another one for the driver cutout) and getting it set to the right radius for cutting the outer diameter of my port.
    Anyways, that is where I am right now, gonna get the endcaps all routed up tomorrow so on to my questions.
    What is the actual cutout size for a Tempest? I know Patman has on his site it is 13.75", but I've seen Dan W post on HTT that it is 14". Which is it? Would I be safe just spliting the difference and making it 13 7/8"?
    The second question left is what do you guys usually put on the speaker wire to connect it to the driver?

2. Seungsoo Hwang

Seungsoo Hwang Stunt Coordinator

Cant answer the first one, but i usually just crimp on some female? connectors and put them on the solder tabs.

3. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

The following is a direct quote from an email from Dan Wiggins about Tempest dimensions :
    Here you go!
    Cutout diameter: 13 13/16"
    Overall diameter: 15 3/16"
    Front gasket depth: 3/4"
    There's a full drawing of Tempest in the Tempest White Paper. It can be downloaded at http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TempestWhitePaper.PDF.
    Thanks!
    Dan Wiggins

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Whatever you do, don't make the cutout 14", it'll be too wide. Do you own measuring of the driver you have.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

5. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

That's the problem, I don't have the driver yet, and I won't have it for at least another couple of days. But I'd like to get the endcaps made and painted before I get it.

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator