I absolutely must replace some fans ASAP, any help?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Vince Maskeeper, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Hey guys.

I have recently added some new amplifiers to my HT, Ashly brand THX certified FTX-1501. I have loved Ashly products in pro audio for years, and am happy to now own a full rack of amps for my mains in the HT.

The problem being that the fans are all old and really noisy. I had a FTX-2001 previously, and even though it's fan was a little loud- it wasn't unreasonable- 2 of the amps I just got are really loud.

Anyway- I figured I could clean the fans and get them back to 'decent" levels of noise-- or I could just replace them with something quieter. I would much rather replace them with something quieter.

The main benefit, I think, is that I won't be running these amps much beyond idle status at most points, I don't think they will ever get a real workout in my modest home theater. I don't think going to a lower volume fan would hurt anything.

Anyway- I don't know where to start.

Do I contact the manufacturer of the fan, which I think is NMB, and ask them if they have a suggested replacement fan of the same size but quieter?

Can I use the NMB model number to get a fan from a different supplier? If so, who do people usually contact for these types of modifications?

Would it be better to figure out the size and voltage of the fan -- and then find a fan seller?

Does anyone know of a company that sells replacement fans for mods that might be helpful in dealing with me?

Any thoughts? I'd love to be able to use these amps in the next couple weeks!

-V

2. Peter Mansell

Vince,

If you're willing to spend a bit more for quality ... Papst make a good range.

www.papst.de

distributed in the US by EBM

www.ebm.com

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Peter,

Thanks for the tip. I'm absolutely happy to pay top dollar if I can get long lasting and QUIET fans.

The problem is I have no idea how to order or even check the site to find the right fan. Does anyone know how to translate data on the label into something useful? Should I just pull the current fan, measure it, and then start looking? Do you think someone at EBM would be able to help me if I sent them all the vitals from the current fan?

-vince

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Vince,
    I'd recommend emailing Ashley and asking them about the fan. Now it's probably just a standard OEM item that you can swap out. But it's probably better to check with them first.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Thomas,

Do you mean in terms of specs, or in terms of ordering a replacement? I have no doubt Ashly would happily sell me another fan as a replacement part, but I'm thinking that if I'm going to take the time to pull it open and replace it-- I figure I'd rather replace it with something nicer and quieter if possible.

I dont know if Ashly would give me any info about the fan, but if I even knew what to ask I'd probably give it a shot. I have NO IDEA what secification a fan would have besides size (amps? wattage? speed? connection? ac/dc? do these things matter, or are they different?)

-Vince

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Papst have failed. They moved their manufacturing from Germany to China, and they now make much crappier products, that are noisier and do not last as long. Their quiet models also move very little air.

Don't fret, Vince, because this is an easy problem to solve. Fans are kind of like loudspeakers in that they are offered in standard sizes. They start at about 25mmx25mm (dimensions of the square frame) and continue 30mm, 40mm, 50mm, 60mm, 70mm, 80mm, 92mm, and 120mm. First, you need to find out which of these dimensions corresponds to your fan. The next thing you must find out is what voltage the fan operates at. If it is 12v, then you may choose from a broad selection of computer case fans. There are many that are quiet, but the quietest are the L1-series Panaflo, by Matsushita (better known as Panasonic). In addition, you must look to find out if the fan in your amplifier is thermally controlled. When you start up the amplifier, does the fan start out slow and then a few minutes later ramp up to a full speed? This will affect our choice of fans somewhat. If you can answer these questions for me, then we can move on to the next phase of fan selection.

Edit: You may need to pull out the fan in order to read the label. If you can give me a model number, then I can check that on the NMB website.

7. Vince Bray

Vince Bray Stunt Coordinator

Additionally you can figure on getting new fans with less total airflow if the amp will always be in a climate-controlled environment. The original fan had to keep the amp cool in ambient temps up to 90-100 degrees, so you get at least 20 degrees for free. I did this with my Crest amp and it's worked great. You can get a new fan with 20% less airflow and be fine. Try to find a good static pressure number, though, make sure to pay attention, as cfm has to be considered with static pressure numbers to see the real performance of the fan. Also make sure it's a 12v fan, the Crest uses a 24v fan that's trouble to find. I ended up using a mechatronics fan, which is a premium product also; I had to call the manufacturer and find a distributor that acutally ordered that part number and call them.

I second the panaflo suggestion, quiet and built to last.

8. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Thanks guys, will open it tomorrow and post as much info as I can find!!

-V

9. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

I don't think that the Mechatronics fans are going to be quite as quiet. (flexing my spelling muscles keeping the spellings of "quiet" and "quite" separate) The Panaflos are designed with an efficient impeller that generates very little noise for the RPM.

10. Peter Mansell

Rory,

I didn't know that about Papst ... not surprising as I don't use them every day. I have 6 of their 80mm 220V fans in my system ... 4 in my equipment rack and 2 in my projector coffee table / hush box.

My most recent purchase was only 6 months ago ... and they are identical to the ones I got 3 years ago. When did they move their manufacturing ?

When I first researched fans, Papst was the quietest for the amount of air moved. Do you have a link to the Panaflo specifications ?

Next time I guess I'll have to give Panaflo a try.

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Here is what I can see on the fan without removing it. I plan on pulling it and taking measurements tomorrow night:

NMB
    3115PS-12W-B10
    115v-AC 50/60hz 4.5/4w

12. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

13. Chuck_K

Chuck_K Extra

i am also the proud owner of an ashly ftx 1501. if you want to reduce the noise of your fan you can simply insert a 2.2k 5W resistor in series with the fan. this tip was provided to me by the very helpful service staff (mike bow) at ashly. they are wonderful folks, and i believe their amps are top shelf for the price.

the fan specs from the nmb site are:

FEATURES Size 3.15 in sq. X 0.98 in (80mm sq. X 25mm)
    Airflow 20 CFM
    Weight 7.7 oz (220g)
    Noise 33 dBA
    Impeller UL94V-O Reinforced Plastic
    Venturi Aluminum Alloy
    Lead Wire AWG 22, Black, UL3266, CSA CL 1252
    Terminals 0.120 in
    Motor Shaded Pole Induction Motor

MODEL 3110PS-12W-B30-AOO
    VOLTAGE 115 V
    POWER 5 W
    CURRENT 75 mA