I absolutely can't wait for 'Medal of Honor: Allied Assault'!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Paul_D, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

2. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

Gamespy has an excellent review for MOH. This is the first PC game in a looong while that has actually interested me. You can find the review HERE
    Regards,
    Stacey

3. Stacey_V

Stacey_V Stunt Coordinator

Paul....have a look at this screen...it is in 1600 x 1200 res. Most impressive.
    AWESOME!
    Regards,
    Stacey

4. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Got it yesterday, and so far I'm impressed. It's retains a bit of the console feel for one section of it (think Jeep Gunner), but the remainder is a very well paced shooter. Your teammates are excellent additions to the atmosphere, and can get things done all by themselves. I also must say that the voice acting is quite good. The Germans speak german, which is such a nice detail after hearing accented English over the years (short of Mein Leiben! [​IMG] )
    So far, this game has delivered on the goods.
    Oh, and you don't start at Omaha, but instead in North Africa. Based on the box it was in (a curiously small box), you will be deployed in a wide variety of terrain.

5. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

I didn't like the demo, but based on all the great reviews, may have to pick it up!

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I may need to run ou and grab it before I go to bed..

I've been playing the demo over, and over ... gets old.

but$65 Canadian ..ouch

7. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

Check out this one:
    [​IMG]
    Whoa!

8. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Alex, where did you find it? Compusa and best buy both did not have it yesterday and I don't think they'll have it today.

9. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

I would guess there have to be shipping problems. As I had said, it was in only one of three places I looked (CompUSA being the winner), but I suspect there must have been some kind of supply issues. Normally, I would suspect a release date change, but saw nothing on the interested news sites. I would recommend you use a calling approach, because you may get a lot of No's until the shipments arrive.

One note, I almost missed it at CompUSA. They have a comparatively tiny box, just a bit larger than say an X-Files DVD Season set. They had it boxed in a huge plastic like a console video game.

Hope you find it. Really a worthy purchase for me.

10. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

Mine arrived from EBGames.com this morning (a surprise, since I paid for 2-day shipping, but they sent it priority overnight).

Haven't fired it up yet, but will in a minute or two. I like the new, small game boxes they're going to. Will take up lots less space on the shelf. As long as companies don't start skimping on the manuals and whatnot because of it, that is...

11. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Would I be right to think Multiplayer aspect revoles around everyone working on the same team? I tried multiplayer gaming once or twice back in the Quake 2 days, I'm not huge on it mainly thanks to having a crap ISP and 56k connection, but if a bunch of HTF'ers could storm the beaches together then well, I may just join you.

Dan (UK)

12. James St

James St Supporting Actor

Been playing this for two days now and it rocks. I loved the original on PSX and have been waiting waiting for the sequels on next gen consoles and pc. I haven't played online yet so I'm curious what it will be like.

13. MarkDavidson

MarkDavidson Stunt Coordinator

Is there any sort of coop mode for the single player missions? I would think not since so much stuff is scripted. md

14. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

15. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Dan,

I know the mulitplayer test that they released was a Free For All version with Teams, which is essentially Deathmatch with two teams. I think some of their maps are objective based ala Castle Wolfenstein, but I haven't checked. They committed the unholy act of using GameSpy Arcade as their server browser (no ingame browser), so I have been avoiding even firing it up. What a stupid, stupid move. An ingame browser was included in the Quake 3 source code, and they specifically removed it. Very bad decision.

I would love a coop mode, but you are right about the scripting. I would expect that the mod community may have some luck. Someone went through all the trouble to create a coop mod for Rune (albeit that's the Unreal engine which has been pretty mod friendly), so there may be hope yet.

16. MikeAlletto

I picked this up at gamestop (or is that aka babbages?) for $44 and have been playing it all afternoon. Man that D-Day mission is tough...took some tries before I could even get off the beach without getting mowed down. My only gripe so far is no blood. I'm finding it very hard to tell when I hit someone since there is no blood. Why didn't they just make the default installer install with no blood. If you wanted blood you had to custom install it. Stupid, stupid, stupid political correctness crap.

Oh my other gripe is the stupid gamespy crap. That pos software always crashes my machine, not to mention I hate the stupid ads.

I love the new box. Those huge boxes with nothing but air in them are so annoying and take up so much space that I always throw them away.

If it weren't for the 2 things above that annoy me this game would be a perfect 10, but its not...I give it a 7.

17. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Whoa, D-Day is an experience unto itself. It is initially unforgiving until you understand the level itself. It is incredibly rewarding to make it to the shingle though.

So far, I am completely impressed by this game. Even though you can take a ridiculous amount of damage, the levels are still very deadly. I can't imagine how the Hard setting will be. Another factor that I enjoy is that the missions are separated both in location but also in time. You aren't carrying the same weapons and ammo from level to level, and not searching the level for some super weapon. Instead, you start the level with the appropriate tools and scrounging as necessary.

18. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

I'll tell ya, I never, NEVER play PC games but I might consider picking this up if I find a good deal on it. Only problem is, my dad skimped of the graphics card to get more memory and a better processor when buying this computer.

19. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Andrew,

Its the Quake 3 TA engine. You dont need a horribly powerful graphics card if you have a decently speedy processor. For goodness sake I played Star Trek Voyager on my TNT2 at 1024X768 an got pretty good FPS if thats telling you anything.

20. MikeAlletto

I'm on the final set of missions and so far it has been so much fun I'm going to play through it again when I finish it. The best level?

Driving the tank...blowing up those buildings was a blast!

and and the level with

the bombed out town where you had to snipe was a pain! Talk about tough, but fun.

oh and

the level where you have to watch over the bridge and snipe the nazis before they blow the bridge.

Good fun...