What's new

I’m VERY surprised! Onkyo HT-S780 in 13’x11’ bedroom (w/pix) (1 Viewer)

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
In my previous marriage, I had a big HT system, made up of a B&K AVR 507, M&K S125 mains, S100B center, MX150 THX sub, and four SS150THX surrounds. That system slammed. If not for discounts where I worked, I wouldn’t have even been able to afford it all…then, or especially now.

So, after my divorce, relocation to TN, and re-married, I went from 7.1 THX Dolby and DTS everything to stereo speakers and a 26” tv. After two years, I finally upgraded the TV to a 52” JVC Dila (which I love). That made life much better and felt good to get back into my HT hobby…but was still lacking on sound. But what to do in such a small, cramped bedroom when you like BIG sound and have little funds?

Answer: Onkyo HT-S780 HTIB

My top original solution for the bedroom was a HSU Ventriloquist system w/STF1 and a Sony receiver…total about 800 bucks for gear. But I could never quite cotton to the idea of the Ventriloquist system and the tiny cube satellites with single drivers, so I started looking for cheaper alternatives in HTIB. I was a little underwhelmed with what I was finding, until I came across the Onkyo system in my research. After reading awesome reviews of the system, I drove to Circuit City to test one.

What a shocker this system has turned out to be!

I could only demo it in stereo, so I popped one of my cds in and listened to the mains and sub. I was quite impressed…no tinniness, no wimpy demeanor…this system has some cajones! Priced at $479 on their website (they give you that price in the store if you mention it), and with ROTS coming out Tuesday, I took the plunge :^)

Setup went smoothly for the fronts, sub and center. For my JVC Dila (no ‘top’ to speak of, steep back) I had bought some months ago a center channel steel shelf that sits up there very nicely (also avail. at Circuit City…CC1B I think?). The receiver weighs in around 20 pounds or so, and this guy runs hot, so put nothing on top of it and give it room to breathe! I eschewed the included crap speaker wire in favor of 14 gauge wire. Time to wire the rears up.

Ok, so why did I use 14 gauge again??? Oh yeah, cuz it’s thicker and heavier and harder to work with. But it’s gonna sound GOOD, and make life easier for the receiver!

This is a newer home that we are leasing, so I wanted to do a ‘minimal impact’ mounting of the four surrounds on the walls. I had two doorways to deal with, so simply running the (trip)wires on the ground was not a good option. I wanted a wire management system that would be simple to work with, relatively inexpensive, and easy to install and uninstall for when we move out in a year or two. I found this management system at Lowe’s that looked promising.

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, I'd like to add a bit about a 7.1 arrangement in a small room.

As you can see, the rears and side surrounds are in close proximity. The room is wider than it is long, though. So, what I'm finding (after questioning the necessity of four surrounds in this bedroom before I went to work installing the wires, then deciding, 'what the Hell? I have the equipment, what's two more wires??') is that the surrounds offer up a tremendous depth to the surround imaging, and the front firing, nearly direct-overhead back surrounds are VERY diffuse and offer some wonderful 'fill' to the system.

In a nutshell, 7.1 works TREMENDOUSLY well in this situation, and was worth the wire and work.

Now I just need to boost up my mains on some higher stands and we're all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks