What's new

hz (1 Viewer)

DanBrunet

Auditioning
Is it nessesary to have a sub that responds to 20hz? Or can I get away with a sub that only goes down to say 25 or 30hz?

I'm only talking numbers. I know that there is alot more to concider. Iwas just wondering!!!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Depends on what you want. For most music getting to 30hz is fine (there are a few discs with 20hz and below info though, mostly synthesizer stuff or things like the 1812 overture). For a lot of HT action movies I don't think it is. I recently went from a sub that started to trail off fast under 30hz to one that doesn't start to trail off until below 16hz. That last octave makes a big difference to me with those discs (CD or DVD) that have the info.

As a side note, there are not a lot of subs out there that can do 20hz with any authority. Almost none that are a few $100. You have to get up into the over $500-$600 (for commercial subs) range before you find any that can come close to real 20hz output.

Jon D

Stunt Coordinator
I can think of two main reasons why it's good to have a true 20 Hz extension.

1. Some movies (such as the always mentioned "The Haunting) has bass information that doesn't extend ABOVE 25 Hz. Without a powerful sub you'll never even hear it.

2. Commercial subs can be harmed by the bass info on some of the newer DVD's if they're not able to extend deep enough. I'm talking about discs like Titan AE, U-571, Jurassic Park III, Phantom Menace, etc.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks