What's new

Hyundai Sonata (1 Viewer)

David Susilo

Screenwriter
DaveF,

My apology for not being clear. When I mention "better built" I was mentioning the built quality (fit, finish, sound absorbtion, no creaking sound) and not longevity or reliability.

I know that pre-2003 models are not that reliable due to two main things:

1. plastic window 'holder' (now they've changed back to metal)
2. failed coil-packs (starting the 2003.5 model they've changed the design)

Oh, and also along my street alone (28 households) 13 of them drive either a Golf or a Jetta (I'm the 14th user) and we ocassionally gather and talk about stuff and everybody seems to be happy with their car except for the coilpack and the window problem that once fixed, it's fixed for good.

ps: the entire marketing department at my office drive Jettas too (1.8T and the severly overpriced VR6)

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
I know this to be true as I ran into this exact same problem last year when trying to trade in a vehicle that was less than one year old. Because the new cars have such good rebates and low interest financing, the used car market value has dropped like a rock. I was told by 4 different dealerships that they could get the car a I was trading in for about $5000 less at auctions than it was showing for trade in value in the books. I called bullshit on the first dealer when they told me that but when the other 3 said the exact same thing I started to believe them:thumbsdown:

Oh, I forgot to add: I drive a '99 Hyundai Accent which has 120,000 miles on it and has never had a thing go wrong with it yet (knocks on wood). Its been my most reliable car to date which includes Plymouth, Nissan, Honda, Mazda, etc. When I go to replace it I will look at Hyundai first.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
The other major deal breaker was with my trade. I have a 2002 Ford Mustang with low miles. 8,530 to be exact. It is also in mint condition. According to blue book and edmunds.com it has a $12,502 trade in value. All they were offering me was $10,500.
They sound like they are offering wholesale value which is more often the case.

You are better off selling to a private individual and then going to buy the car you want in this particular case. What Kyle says is also true that new cars with these rebates are killing the used market which is good if you want to buy used but I know alot of people who have had bad luck with used cars and refuse to buy used.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
They sound like they are offering wholesale value which is more often the case
I believe this is the case. They called several area dealers trying to sell my car. The Hyundai dealer has a used car lot but they only stock foreign makes.

I might just go ahead and put a "FOR SALE" sign in the windows and put an add in the paper. I will be generous with the price. Anything is better then $10,500.

Yesterday at the dealer I told them that I had to think about it. This was really not the deal I intended to get. I bet they will call today and ask why I did not come back. I will tell them the deal is broken because my trade is low and no factory rebate on the 04's. I bet they call before the end of the weekend with a better deal.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If they are desperate enough they will call you. Walking out with the chips on the table is certainly a good bargaining tool because they know what they need to do to earn your business /end cliche.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
This is getting tempting. They offered me another $1,000 for my trade. They also dropped the extended warrantee by $500. Not sure if I really want the extended warrantee or even really need it. 5/60,000 is pretty good but 10/100,000 miles is even better. This is bumper to bumper warrantee.

Using the finance calculator my payments would be $294 a month for 60 months. That is about as good as it gets.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
Using the finance calculator my payments would be $294 a month for 60 months. That is about as good as it gets.
Maybe for the Sonata. My monthly payments on the Tiburon were $10 less per month. ;)

How many years of roadside assistance does the extended warranty include? (I never had to use mine, by the way.)

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
How many years of roadside assistance does the extended warranty include? (I never had to use mine, by the way.)
This actually my next question when my salesman calls me. I hope for the price you get road side assistance for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
If it were me, I'd keep holding out. The Economy being what it is, the ball is in the buyers court. Sellers need $$ so they will call you and give you what you want soon.

Chris Shelly

Second Unit
Shane,

Sorry I live in Seattle Washington. A little far from Arkansas.

Anyways I made a deal and I am now an owner of a 2004 Sonata LX V6.

I got what can be be called a really good deal because the dealer made an error. The original price quote was with the $1,000 rebate offered on the 03. The then tried to change the deal but I did not budge. The then tried to get me into one with less options. They finely ate the $1,000 rebate and sold me the car at below cost. I paid $17,684 plus TTL on a 2004 Sonata LX V6 with an auto and package 7. As loaded as the get.

Chris

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
congrats on the new wheels.
If you haven't already you should read the article posted here from edmunds a couple weeks ago about an undercover writer working as a car salesman. Compare his experience to your's :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks