Hyundai -- I don't think it's a Yugo anymore

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Hugh Jackes, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes
    At least I hope not.

I bought my wife an Elantra (she chose this vehicle) over the weekend after her old steed collapsed on the side of the freeway.

Edmunds.com reports that they've cleaned up their act.

A Toyota dealer I spoke to said that Hyundai was a much better competitor than it used to be.

A Hyndai dealer I spoke to said that they still make that crappy car that gave them such a bad reputation, but that they now sell it under their Kia mark.

The local paper reported that the Hyundai Santa Fe had a problem last year where the engines were freezing up on the freeway. The paper reported that Hyundai appears to have fixed the problem (no recurrences since they redesigned the engine), that they replace the engines in all of the Santa Fes that had had the old engine, and that, if a customer wasn't pleased by that, gave them a new Santa Fe.

And the topper, what made me willing to consider the Hyundai despite their rep, what sealed the deal was the warranty: 5 years/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, 10 years/100,00 miles power train, and 5 years/unlimited mileage roadside service (from 3 gallons of gas, to changing a tire, to towing you to a dealer for warrantied service and putting you up in a hotel for 3 days). I figure that they'd quickly go broke if they were forced to provide warranty for more than a small fraction of their customers.

So, any board members have experience, positive or negative, with Hyundai, say 2001 or later, when this "turning around" process began? Any strong opinions, positive or negative?

2. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

3. Micheal

Micheal Screenwriter

My second car is a 2002 Hyundai Accent. We live out of the city so we had to get a second car. So far the only problem that we have come across is the fact that the "check engine" light is far too sensitive. Aside from that it's been fine.

I haven't plugged it in once this winter and it's started every time without a hitch. That's saying something considering how cold it's been here all winter. -30 odd degrees with the wind chill has almost been the average temperature here since early January.

-34 this morning.
    Brrrrrr....

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I think that Hyundai may be a baby Honda.

Honda had the late 70's Civic, and Hyundai had the mid 80's Pony.

Hey I'm looking at an Elantra myself ... the VE model.

I don't have any problem buying this nameplate anymore .... now 6-7 years ago is a different story.

Brent

5. Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes Supporting Actor

Hugh Jackes

6. Nathan*W

Nathan*W Screenwriter

Nathan

7. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

My first dealer-bought car was a '89 Hyundai Excel. I loved the car as far as comfort goes, but it was built for crap. I went through 2 alternators,3 batteries (due to the recurring alternator problem), 2 antifreeze leaks into the driver compartment and a burnt out dash light. I ended up trading it in a few years later for a used '88 Dodge Omni that ran like a top.

However, the fact that they are still around almost 20 years later means Hyundai must be doing something right. And you can't beat a stick at that 10 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Although I swore of Hyundais back in the 90's, I might consider one... maybe.

8. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Have you noticed how much the Hyundai Sonata's look like a Jaguar from the front? I was working at a park this past summer when a coworker and I were nudging each other to check out a Jag driving towards us. We were bewildered when we saw the Hyundai emblem when it passed us. Sure is a pretty car. As far as it's build and reliability, I have no clue, but to have that good of a warantee says something.

9. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

The first thing any mfg does when they get a bad reliability rep is to slap a huge warranty on the thing--starting with Chrysler's 5/50 powertrain wty back in the 60s, something they're doing again right now. VW is doing the same.

Frankly I'd rather have a car that doesn't need a 10 year warranty but has already proven itself capable of lasting 10 or 15 years with no major problems, just normal maintenance. Toyota and Honda have been building anvils for 15-20 years now, Hyundai's supposed quality improvement, if any, is too new to have proven itself.

If you're gonna trade every every 3-5 years like most people do, take a chance. If you really want to keep a car 10-15 years with minimal repair outlay or downtime (downtime is a bitch even if the repair's under warranty) then buy a proven product.

Put your faith in a proven product, not a paper warranty.

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

11. Greg Rakaska

Greg Rakaska Stunt Coordinator

The best warranty is one that you do not have to use.

Unfortunately I have used my 2000 Hyundai Sonota warranty 4 times in three years (22,000 miles!).

1) CD Player died 3rd time played.

2) Battery died for no apparent reason in the first 12 months

3) Both front power window motors replaced.

4) Starter solenoid stuck, had to be towed to dealer. When dealer tried to start it, it started OK. They would not replace the starter because they could not find anything broken. They accused me of flooding the engine. Hmmm, when you turn the key and hear a "whirrrrrr", but no cranking sound, guess that means you flooded it.

In addition to the above problems, I have had three recall notices for various design deficiencies.

Other than the above, its been a nice car [​IMG]

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

13. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    This all reminds me of the first generation of DVD players. Sony came out with their top of the line, the 7000 I think, while the other manufacturers came out with less. Sony quickly got recognized as an industry leader with a reputation that lasted for quite some time until the otehrs played catchup. It pays to come out with your best right off the bat and not come out with a no frills deal. That only tarnishes the image of that whole product line. Hyundai has had to struggle for years to rid itself of the image the Pony gave it even though today they have good cars in my opinion.

14. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint

I can give you the one I used on my 72 Chevy C-10 which had the same problem. It ended up being the Autozone starters I kept putting on. I finally gave up and bought a remanufactured starter from a shadetree mechanic/bodyshop near me and it lasted until I sold the truck a year later.

15. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    I would argue that Hyundai's turnaround started before 2001. I have a '98 Tiburon with 112,000 miles on it that's required nothing but scheduled maintenance, and it still feels like new. They've proven their product to me.

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I know nothing about the quality of Hyundai cars, but yes, that car looks like a Jag from the front. The design is really rich-looking in general. Maybe that's the only good thing about them? [​IMG]

17. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer