Hyper-critical DVD viewing anecdote

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ken_McAlinden, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer

Feb 20, 2001
    Kenneth McAlinden
    I put LOTR:TT EE into my DVD player yesterday and watched the first half hour or so. I was outraged! They had clearly gone too far with the digital grading of this film. It was like the red was sucked right out of the color spectrum and Rohan looked like a landscape from O Brother Where Art Thou. Naturally I was preparing a scathing post in my head as I was watching.

I thought about it some more and realized what happened. A few months ago, I tweaked the service menu settings on my TV so that my S-video and component inputs would match in terms of color and contrast settings. This made it easier to switch between different sources. Apparently I did not save the settings, and the power outage I had the night before had reverted things back to the way they were. I was effectively watching the DVD with my TV's "color" setting about 15 notches lower than it should have been.

I think the thing that bothered me the most about the whole thing was how irritated I had actually felt. I need to seriously recalibrate my life perspective. [​IMG]

2. Anthony Neilson

May 26, 2003
    Join the queue, Ken [​IMG]

When I first started out on the long (-ish) road to DVD obsession, I had a player and a portable TV and that was it.
    I was happy.
    As my equipment's got more sophisticated, the downside has been that I'm starting to notice even tiny defects, and they bug me like crazy. And I can see people on the forum who've got the latest 120 inch HD Plasma screen with DTS 15.1 sound-systems and whatever - and they're in a state of rage because suddenly this high-end gear is showing up every minor flaw.

I'm not ridiculing these people - I'm on the same road, as I said. But it illustrates something pretty fundamental about the human condition, doesn't it ?

We're never going to get to this blissful state of home-theatre nirvana. It doesn't exist. The road is all there is.

Time to take up Buddhism.