What's new

Hybrid SACDs & "slot" CD players? (1 Viewer)

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Are hybrid SACDs generally "safe" to play in slot loading CD players (like a car CD player)? The disc in question is one of the Dylan remasters, and I know already that my PC's CDROM won't play the hybrid layer, but I hope my car will.

I know there's a past history of slot loaders "eating" certain copy protected CDs, don't want it happening my Dylan!

Probably worrying over nothing...

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
I'm not sure. My car player plays my hybrid discs fine, but it's only like 4 months old and is an MP3 CD deck with CD-R/RW compatibility. If you've got an older deck it'ds hard to say. If it doesn't play, you should be able to force eject it, that or the player might spit it out on its own. I once put a disc in upside down in my old Kenwood car CD player(which is still going strong now transplanted into my Mom's car more than 5 years after I bought it). It just spit the disc back out by itself with no issue at all.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My hybrid SACDs have been playing fine in my 2001 Toyota Camry's stock CD player. Although I have not tried that many since I burn copies to be used in the car. As for copy-protected discs, I have one such disc (doesn't say it's a CD anywhere on the disc or packaging) from Hong Kong EMI and that one played fine in the Toyota CD player as well.

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Pioneer car stereo which is about two years old. It has the slot CD player and I stuck DSOTM SACD in and it played fine but the CD got stuck in the player. I had to force it out.

So like a dummy I decided to try my Nora Jones SACD and it did the same thing but I was able to get it out also. The CDs were not damaged but after that I decided not to put them back in my car stereo but I do have a CD changer, which has the magazine insert, in my car and they both worked fine in it.

I also have a Honda minivan and I tried both cds in that CD player and they had no problem. They both played and ejected properly.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
I have a Pioneer car stereo which is about two years old. It has the slot CD player and I stuck DSOTM SACD in and it played fine but the CD got stuck in the player. I had to force it out.
That's exactly what I was worried about.

Anyway, I tried my Blood on the Tracks CD and it worked fine in my car's slot loader. Ejected fine too, which was more important :)

Thanks for the advice, guys.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I played DSOTM in my car's factory CD player (2003 Civic Hybrid). It played and released with no problem.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
I have a 2-year-old Sony car unit (can give you the model if you need it), and have had no problems. I've played several hybrid titles many times.
Doug

Robert Powers

Stunt Coordinator
The Pioneer car stereo that I had problems with the SACDs sticking in the slot was the model # DEH-P9300. If you have this model I would suggest not playing SACDs in it since the slot is so thin and SACDs are slightly thicker than the average CDs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks