What's new

Hybrid SACD Incompatible With DVD Player? (1 Viewer)

JoeCW

Auditioning
I recently purchased the hybrid/2-layer Beggars Banquet SACD, but don't have a SACD player (was just interested in the remaster of the album). Plays fine in the car, and in my older Sony discman. However, my Yamaha DVD-CD900 does not recognize the SACD. Neither does my computer DVD drive (uses a Pioneer driver but I'm not 100% sure that's the drive manufacturer).

Is this a known problem with Yamaha and/or other DVD players? I had not heard of any copy protection on the ABKCO rereleases, but I suppose it could result from that as well.

Does anyone have any light to shed on this?

KrisM

Second Unit
I don't know about the Yamaha, but most hybrids either don't play or play poorly in my truck stereo. It is a Sony ES model. You may just be out of luck.

Regards
KrisM

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe, many people have reported difficulties playing hybrid SACDs in DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives. It seems that these devices default to the SACD layer, which they cannot read. I have read of such complaints with the Stones hybrid discs. Unfortunately, I see no way around it other than for you to get a dedicated CD player or an SACD player.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Joe, I've heard people say CD-ROM drives usually play the CD layer of hybrids. If you have an old one laying around... Best wishes!

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
I had not heard of any copy protection on the ABKCO rereleases
Major-label SACDs are almost guaranteed to have "digital watermarks" on the SACD layer, regardless of whether the Red Book layer is Red Book or a copy-protected mutation.

In this case, I doubt copy protection is the cause of the problem. More likely, the SACD layer looks enough like a DVD to keep the player from trying CD fallback mode -- but not enough like a DVD to play successfully as one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks