Hybrid SACD Incompatible With DVD Player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JoeCW, May 17, 2003.

1. JoeCW

JoeCW Auditioning

I recently purchased the hybrid/2-layer Beggars Banquet SACD, but don't have a SACD player (was just interested in the remaster of the album). Plays fine in the car, and in my older Sony discman. However, my Yamaha DVD-CD900 does not recognize the SACD. Neither does my computer DVD drive (uses a Pioneer driver but I'm not 100% sure that's the drive manufacturer).

Is this a known problem with Yamaha and/or other DVD players? I had not heard of any copy protection on the ABKCO rereleases, but I suppose it could result from that as well.

Does anyone have any light to shed on this?

2. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

I don't know about the Yamaha, but most hybrids either don't play or play poorly in my truck stereo. It is a Sony ES model. You may just be out of luck.

Regards
    KrisM

3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Joe, many people have reported difficulties playing hybrid SACDs in DVD players and computer DVD-ROM drives. It seems that these devices default to the SACD layer, which they cannot read. I have read of such complaints with the Stones hybrid discs. Unfortunately, I see no way around it other than for you to get a dedicated CD player or an SACD player.

4. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Joe, I've heard people say CD-ROM drives usually play the CD layer of hybrids. If you have an old one laying around... Best wishes!

5. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter