Hybrid DVD-A/CD Already Demonstrated!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Al B. C, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Great news! I liked this part of the article:

3. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I thought originally it was speculated that Sony owned the patent for a single layer Hybrid so DVD-A could only be on a dual sided disc. Assuming this article is true and Sony does own the patent on single sided Hybrids, this means they are either A. Using a new disc replication method different from Sony or B. Sony has decided to allow DVD-A on their Hybrid disc for the sake of royalties.

It will interesting to see if Sony has indeed licensed out their technology. With the rumblings about them possibly doing DVD-A/SACD Universal players as well, maybe they are changing their stance and realizing there is room on the market for both DVD-A and SACD. I know SACD is their format, but if there is money for them to be made on DVD-A, I am sure they won't turn down additional streams of profit. With very little overlap between both formats from a title perspective, and neither format close to dead, this would make the most sense.

J

4. robertLP

robertLP Stunt Coordinator

I don't understand how a DVD player would play this. How would your player 'know' which layer to read? If it locks on to the redbook layer, aren't you pretty much screwed?

Rob

5. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

We will probably get the great fortune of needing to upgrade our players to accept all of this. My RP-91 won't even let me choose between the DVD-A layers and the DVD-V layers (unless it's completely menu drive like on Queen's A Night at the Opera). And adding more layers is going to make it easier for my player how exactly?

Lin

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

7. Michael St. Clair

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

11. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

12. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Regarding that RP-91: while at my local Tweeter last week, I was trying to play my Linkin Park & Linda Ronstadt dvd-audios (weird combination, eh?) on a Denon 4800 carousel dvd-audio player, I was able to switch its playback from dvd-audio to the dvd-video portion really easily. As far as I know, this Denon uses Panasonic chips--its graphic user interfaces look exactly like my Panasonic DVD-R31's (and other Panny players too). While the Linkin disc was playing, I pushed the "action"(?) button (this pulled up the player's main menu) went to the "video" submenu, and selected the "video" playback option. When I exited the main player menu, the disc began playing the dvd-video portion of this dvd-audio disc. That was it! (As usual, Tweeter didn't have the six analog outputs connected to their huge/brooding Denon 5803 receiver to hear the dvd-audio signal. So no Linda in 192kHz/24bit stereo--dummies!).

Maybe the RP-91 works the same way?

LJ [​IMG]

13. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Correct, there is more than one way to skin a cat, and so long as a unique technique is created for a single sided hybrid, it would be possible to create DVD-A/CD hybrids as hybrid SACDs are manufactured currently.

I don't see how they could get past the Sony patent, but where there's a will there's a way.

Going back to the question about layers, DVD players always try to find a DVD first, so where a hybrid DVD-A/CD product released, your player would find the DVD layer.

Then, depending on whether it was a DVD-V only or DVD-V/DVD-A it would choose appropriate content for playback capability on the player.

Regards,

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee,

I figured the 2+2+2 configuration was the same as Chesky's 6.0.

All,

If hybrid CD/DVD-Audio discs come to fruition, I see two things happening. First, it is possible that current DVD-Audio players will not be able to access the CD layer (I'm not sure that the "Group" function or a menu option will work since a different laser would have to be used). Second, new players will have a CD/DVD-Audio function analogous to the CD/SACD layer switch function on SACD players. So, either you will have to live without accessing the CD layer on your current player or you will have to buy a new player. [​IMG]

Of course, if you have a dedicated CD player, none of this matters. Use your CD player for the CD layer and your DVD-Audio player for the DVD-Audio layer. [​IMG]

15. Michael St. Clair

Make every hybrid disc include an uncompressed stereo track. What would then be the purpose of needing current DVD-A players to access the CD layer?

16. John Kotches

Keith and Lee,

Chesky's 6.0 and Tacet/MDGs 2+2+2 formats don't have the same speaker placement requirements.

Chesky's 6.0 has two height speakers placed towards the front of the room, and elevated above the plane of the other 4 speakers.

The Tacet and MDG 2+2+2 format is in a more conventional front/sides/rears arrangement.

This article I wrote while @ Secrets, covers all the various speaker layouts, including Telarc's height channel.
    http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...o-11-2001.html

While the sonic results of the various 6 channel solutions are great, the practicality of implementation is not.

I like Telarc's height implementation the best, they have you use an LPF/HPF combo on the .1 channel, sending content below 120 Hz to the subwoofer and content above 120Hz to the overhead height channel. So you can use a conventional 5.1 with this.

Regards,

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

Certainly, if every DVD-Audio disc had a high-resolution stereo track (i.e., 24/96 or 24/192), one could argue that there would be no reason to play a redbook track on a DVD-Audio player. The same is true if a 16/44.1 track were included on the DVD-Audio layer. The redbook track would be good for use in a car, portable CD player, etc., though.

People here would simply like to be able to access both the high-resolution and CD layers on their DVD-Audio players (assuming no 16/44.1 track is included on the DVD-Audio layer). I often like to compare the CD and stereo SACD tracks on hybrids and would like to be able to do a similar comparison on a DVD-Audio player.

John,

Thanks. I had forgotten that Chesky's configuration calls for a height spec.

18. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

LanceJ,

The video submenu does NOT have a video playback option - the choices are TV Aspect, TV Type, Still Mode, and Black Level Control. Nice try though.

Lin

19. Michael St. Clair

20. John Kotches

Keith said this earlier: