HVD titles (chinese)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Hartwig Hanser, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Hartwig Hanser

Hartwig Hanser Second Unit

I own the Neuneo HVD-2085 DVD player which upconverts to 1080i via component and produces a spectacular picture. This player also can play some High Definition Titles from China with 720p resolution. I ordered one, "The travalling Birds", a bird documentary. The picture sharpness is extraordary, a glimpse of things to come with Blu-Ray next your, or so I hope.
    My question is: Has anybody else tested some of the other titles and can comment on the picture quality? I would be interested in "House of flying Daggars" or "World without thieves". Are they better than their DVD counterparts? You can find those titles on http://www.neuneo.com/body/product/dvdtitle/hvds.asp

2. Hartwig Hanser

Normally I refrain from bumping, but I have a hard time to beleive that I am the only one on this gigantic forum to own these Discs. I mean these ARE high definition DVDs, although as an exotic format, but nevertheless exactly what Bluyray and HDDVD are about! "The travelling Birds" or "Migrating Birds" is an excellent documentary and the detail puts every "normal" DVD I own to shame.
    So, first I want to recommend this foray into HD to adventurous minded early adaptor type people (you know who you are!). I mean, 300 Dollars for an excellent upconverting player plus a true HD movie arent bad, right?
    Second I would like to repeat my original question: has anybody here already seen other HDV titles and compared them to there DVD counterparts?
    Thanks in advance for replies.

Hartwig

3. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

I also wanted to start a "alternative" HD thread.
    So tired of the BD vs. HD-DVD "mine is going to be better than yours" bashing. Especially when we don't even have either product yet.
    So...
    You can get the players & titles of the red laser HD from China!?!? How many players & titles are available?
    Will the red laser HD system the Taiwanese will introduce also be available to U.S.?
    And, why isn't there more Microsoft HD product in the U.S.?
    Choice is GOOD!

4. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

Looks interesting. The player prices are considerably cheaper than what the first wave of HD-DVD or Bluray players will be.

Knowing that this is destined to be a doomed format though, I would be very skeptical to buy anything though.

5. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Just came back from the AVForums. Huge drive reliability problems in the Neuneo units.

I also forgot to mention; DiVx.

6. Hartwig Hanser

Ed,

as far as i know only this player and only the few Titels on their Website exist. Probably they are not getting any licences from major Hollywood Studios.

I read the AVforum threads. The NeuNeo 2085 is a revised model with better components, as a reaction to the critizism to built quality. So far, it works perfectly for me. And I don´t need Divx.

Mike,

re doomed format, you are right. I see it for me as an added bonus, in first place I wanted a player which upconverts to 1080i over analog YUV outputs, which it does admirably.
    The HDV titles are for me similiar to the DTS-CDs I bought 1998/1999, just to have music in dicrete multichannel. There were also only a few titles available which interested me, but neverless I enjoyed the format until 2002 which I bought into SACD and DVDAudio.
    Now I buy some HDV titles to enjoy HDTV until BLuray is ready.

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Please tell us how Hero & HoFD lokks!!!

8. Hartwig Hanser

Ed,
    I only have the Migrating Birds Documentary, the only one I knew beforehand that the picture quality is excellent. My first post was with the intention to find out about the picture quality of the other Titles, but it seems I am the only one here owning HDV.
    I plan to buy House of Flying Daggars soon, but not Hero, since that movie does not have English subtitles. And my Chinese is a little bit rusty...
    Maybe I will buy World without Thieves which sounds interesting.

9. Hartwig Hanser

Just found some new titles on the www.neodigits.com website! "King Solomon Mines" sounds interesting.