HVAC installation questions.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob Hill, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

I am just about to the point where I need to install my HVAC vents and I have a few concerns/questions. I want to install vents in my theater that are both very very quiet and still distribute the heated/cooled air very well. As always any help is appreciated. Oh, I almost forgot, I also would like to know what if anything should be done to a fresh air return for sound dampening.
    My theater

2. JonahWicky

JonahWicky Stunt Coordinator

Any sound dampening should be done in the supply ducts, not the returns. If you're more than about 10-15 feet away from your HVAC unit, you probably won't need to do anything. Just be sure there's a flexible isolation joint in the ductwork somewhere to prevent vibrations from being transmitted from the equipment. If you hear any air movement noise, your system is not properly balanced.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

I was told by a friend who used to do HVAC design for large corporate buildings that the key to quietness was the use of 2 right angles in each duct. He said that they always used this technique when running ducts into and out of executive offices, briefing rooms, etc.

4. Bob Hill

Bob Hill Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the information. As it stands I do have a flexible isolation joint in each run I plan to pull off of so I should be allright there. My current vents are virtually silent so I guess that I am being overly concerned about this but I would hate to have to redo them later due to excessive noise. BTW Matt, I loved Wind and agree that it should be put into DVD. Thanks again.
    My Theater

5. MarkMaestas

MarkMaestas Agent

I would use the non-adjustable vents. The ones that just let the air in and don't have the louvers that you can open or close. They seem to get loose and rattle. By avoiding movable parts, you eliminate the chance for rattles. If you want to be able to close a non-adjustable vent, they make magnetic covers that you just stick on the vent and that keeps air from coming through.

Good Luck

Mark