Huuricane Charley is heading my way.....

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott Thomas, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Scott Thomas

Scott Thomas Second Unit

Right now, everything is calm. but by friday, Class 1 Hurricane Charley is supposed to hit the florida west coast.

Haven't got any info whether to evac. or not. I probaly could just see it through.
    Bought some water,can foods, dry foods, storage bins,

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    How many Charley threads are we going to have, anyway?

3. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Where in Largo do you live? Just check the evacuation zone maps to see what evacuation warning level has to be for you to head out.

Unless you live near the coast or live in a low-lying area that floods easily, you should be ok.

Just out of curiosity, are you new at this hurricane thing? Just wondering, because the classifiaction levels are called "category", not "class".

4. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

And a category 1 (especially a weak-a** category 1 like "Chuck") is barely a hurricane. Unless you're in the Keys (where you're elevation above sea level is lower than Shaq's shoulders) or in a flood zone, I wouldn't worry about evacuating. If the storm sticks to or near the forecast track I'll be southeast of it, but that's where a lot of the rain tends to get dumped. Since we've had a lot of rain in the past few weeks as it is, the ground is saturated and our big problem will be flooding. Flooding will also be more of a problem than wind wherever the storm makes landfall, since the winds won't be that strong to begin with and will drop off rapidly once it is disconnected from its "engine", the warm waters of the gulf. (Unless it is a freak like Andrew and hardly weakens or slows down at all when it hits - in which case all bets are off. [​IMG]) The storm's greatest potential for damage and injury, as always, will lie in the storm surge when it crosses the coastline. But since Charlie is a fairly wimpy storm, even that probably won't be too bad.

I would hate to be in the northwest to north central part of the state in the next few days. There's going to be an overlap in the rainfall and wind swaths cut by one definite hurricane and one borderline strong TS/weak hurricane within a 48 hour period and that can't be a good thing. I work for a state agency and know that a number of conferences have been cancelled so that employees aren't on the road in the unsettled areas over the next couple of days, and many offices are making contingency plans for not opening on Friday and even closing early tomorrow to give folks time to batten down the hatches and lay in last minute supplies.

Regards,

Joe

5. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

shouldn't be too bad, my employer has a couple jets down there and would like to get them out if a flight comes up, but I doubt they'll move them to safety.

My boss said he used to be down to ride out a 1-3, but 4 and 5 he'd go inland [​IMG]

6. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

It's supposed to exit Florida right over my house....[​IMG]

We're still expecting winds in the 75 mph range. First today we have to deal with little Bonnie giving us a pre soaking.

My wife is from Miami and her Aunts house in Homestaed was gone after Andrew. I would never stay through a 4-5 but like others said a 1-2 unless right near the coast you should be okay. My sister and her husband live on thier boat in Marathon Key. Sucks for them.

7. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Well, it's up to Category 2 and Pinellas County has issued mandatory evacuations for Zones A, B and C. I'm in zone D, but C is right across the street from me, so I'm not sure what to do.

The problem is all my family and friends around here have dogs, and my wife is allergic to dogs, so she usually can't spend more than 4 hours at any of those places.

8. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    It has to cross Cuba first, so that will probably knock it back to minimal Cat 1. It's just a question of whether it can quickly rengenerate between Cuba and Florida.

9. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    I dunno, the forecaster I just watched said the effect of the Cuba crossing will be minimal - it's predicted to cross Cuba almost perpendicular at pretty much the narrowest part of the island, so we're only talking about 50-60 miles across.

Here's the official forecast discussion that was posted by the weather service at 11 AM (EDT) today:

The just-released 5 PM (EDT) forecast has Charley as a full-fledged Cat 3 with 120 MPH winds when it makes landfall in Florida late tomorrow.

Don't screw around with this one folks. Better safe than sorry.

10. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I just got evaced from my timeshare down in Ft. Meyers beach because of Charley. I had to leave 2 days early[​IMG] . The problems is that it seems we may have come back to a much worser situation since Charley will be coming over my home here in Gainesville packing potentially big 60 MPH winds,makes me wish we had been allowed to stay down in Fort Meyers or we had gone to Miami and stayed with relatives instead.

11. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Malcolm, I see you are from Vermont.

Cuba and the Caribbean islands won't do much to affect Charley because they aren't very wide. The outer edges will be back over water before the eye even makes landfall on Cuba, and it will only take a matter of hours for the eye to completely cross the island.

If it weakens at all, it'll be very minimal, and then having much of tomorrow over the Gulf of Mexico will allow it to strengthen even more.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm

My location is irrelevant. Weather watching, especially during hurricane season, has been a lifelong hobby.

13. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    Weather-watching can indeed make a good hobby. As I'm sure you are aware then, little details can make a big difference. If Charley were to go across Cuba the long way, then there would be a significant eakening. However, that is not the direction it is moving (or forcasted to move).

Those of us who track hurricanes not as a curious hobby but as a personal hazard are more likely to pay attention to the smallest of details.

With a 20 mile diameter eye moving NNW at 18 mph, it'll only take less than 4 hours for the eye to completely cross the narrow point of Cuba (unless it slows). In addition, the diameter of hurricane-force winds is wider than even the widest point of Cuba, so regeneration from the Florida Straights and Gulf of Mexico will help maintain power of the storm before the eye has completely crossed Cuba, maybe even kicking in before the Cuba landfall.