What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Aldrich’s somewhat muddled neo-noir character piece Hustle benefits from a strong cast headed by Burt Reynolds and Catherine Deneuve and a director who knows his way around noir.

Hustle (1975)

Released: 25 Dec 1975
Rated: R
Runtime: 120 min

Director: Robert Aldrich
Genre: Crime, Drama, Mystery

Cast: Burt Reynolds, Catherine Deneuve, Ben Johnson
Writer(s): Steve Shagan

Plot: At the instigation of a grieving father, a Los Angeles cop investigates the suspicious circumstances of a girl's apparent suicide.

IMDB rating: 6.2
MetaScore: 77

Disc Information

Studio: Paramount
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC

Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1
Audio: English 2.0...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Sultanofcinema

Second Unit
Real Name
Joseph Barrett
I saw Hustle opening night, it was sold out and the audience was upset by the finale. I loved the film then and have waited for the film to appear on Blu-ray. The film made a mint over the first weekend, word of the ending got out and the movie quietly died. I think the film is far superior to the Longest Yard ( a very commercial film that pulls all of the audiences strings). I felt the casting of the two leads was wonderful as I had been following Ms. Deneuve's career since the 60's. She got 500K a film and wanted to be in Octopussy. She got her agent to call Cubby Broccoli and told her agent she would cut her price in half (250K). Cubby was adamant and responded that he only paid his lead women 80K. She refused. Anyway glad to have Hustle which has been delayed from last week to late June. I got a notice it would arrive last Thursday and then it was delayed and out of stock everywhere. Don't you love the fact that films that were bombs are the toughest to get and more people want them than you know.

Brian Dauth

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Dauth
I think the film is far superior to the Longest Yard
Agreed. From the opening following the car across Los Angeles, one has the feeling that Aldrich is reporting on L.A./America in the very moment of his making the film.

I look at Aldrich's 70's movies as second swings at genres where had already made classics. HUSTLE is KISS ME DEADLY marinated in 20 years of experience, reflection, and growing despair.

mskaye

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Kochman
I'm glad others appreciate this neglected film!
I'm going to order it. I somehow have missed this one in my journey through 70s cinema. Aldrich always had something to say even when it was a commercial on the outside. Awesome director.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks