What's new

Hurricane Wilma, here we go again and again......!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'm not so sure they overdo the names. It's a matter of reference convenience. That's why they reuse names every 6 years unless they were damaging enough to be retired. Even tropical storm names have been retired in the past. Do you not name a storm until it reach hurricane strength? That's a bit late in the process and could cause confusion. Giving it a name as soon as is reasonable is a better idea for continuity purposes.

As for the records, the Atlantic was probably busy enough in terms of shipping and immigration to be able to determine storms. In fact, I'm willing to say it's possible the numbers are a bit high, since with less reliable instruments it's possible that these ships may have over-reported storms.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor

Not sure I understand this comment. Storms aren't named until they reach Tropical Storm status. A TS is much more than a "little puff of swirling clouds". They can do tons of damage - case in point, TS Alison in 2001, which flooded Houston and caused 40 deaths and 5 billion dollars of damage.

DaveJJ

Stunt Coordinator
The rule is when a TS winds exceed 39 mph. A name is used from the current hurricane list.

This is the hurricane names for 2005:

Arlene
Bret
Cindy
Dennis
Emily
Floyd
Gert
Harvey
Irene
Jose
Katrina
Lenny
Maria
Nate
Ophelia
Phillippe
Rita
Stan
Tammy
Vince
Wilma

DanielKellmii

Supporting Actor
Joe D, there is a law that permits hurricane shutters to be installed without being interferred with by the HOA. That doesn't mean some people don't try and be pests, but it does mean that they are just full of hot air.

Anthony Moore

Supporting Actor
Wow..what a night...like a train coming towards your window every 10 seconds. Never lost power or anything, though. Extremely windy here in Sarasota. But nothing that looks too severe.

Hope everything is alright everywhere else.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Nope: When a Tropical Depression reaches 39mph winds, it gets upgraded to a Tropical Storm AND gets assigned a name. If said Tropical Storm winds exceed 74mph, it becomes a Hurricane (in the atlantic) Category 1.

--
H

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
its 2:00pm over here in Brandon, Florida (slightly east of tampa)
Its beautiful over here, a little windy, but now its cool and sunny.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Cool and sunny here in Clearwater, too. still a little breezy, but I don't think we got anything more than some tropical storm-strength wind gusts. The rain wasn't much here either. Some twigs and small branches littering the yard, but that's it. Power went out briefly, and cable was out until around noon (it was out when I wok up, so not sure how long that was). We got worse weather from Jeanne and Frances.

I'm sure south of here got hit much worse, but fortunately this wasn't the Cat 5 Wilma from last week.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Finally got power back last night around 10pm after losing it on Monday at 8am during Wilma. Three days without power sucked but I'm extremely grateful since according to FPL some residents will be without power until November 15th!

Besides a few downed trees my home came out of this without a scratch. Seeing some of the damage to other homes we are very fortunate.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
Vlad D where are you at? We got power to our house on the 27th also. Our house is in Miami Gardens on 49th court. Luckily we went down that day to start cutting the mango tree that got knocked down and clean the shingles that blew off. We took a uhaul loaded with our generator and 6-6gallon cans of gas. When we got to fort pierce is when the gas lines started.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
John,

I live in Miramar in Broward County west of I-75.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
So your not too far from our other house. We're on Honey Hill near Red Road. If something like this happens again and you need supplies and we're headed that way just let me know. How are things coming along now? We will be back in 2 weeks to go to the International Auto Show and then back for a week during Thanksgiving.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks