What's new

Hurricane Nuts - Use Ply Backer? (1 Viewer)

Garret_O

Agent
Hey all,

I'm building a set of MTMs and I had a quick question regarding Hurricane Nuts. On my sub project (in finishing phase) I didn't use any backer on my hurricane nuts when installing. Unfortunatly, I pulled out two hurricane nuts during the process (when testing the screws). I was using gorilla glue around the hurricane nuts and then installing them and clamping.

Has anyone else had problems with Hurricane tearout in MDF??

I was wondering if I should glue 1/4" ply to the mdf and set the Hurricanes in that for the MTMs. Another option would be to use standard wood glue and not ploy/Gorilla.

THoughts?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Everything pulls out of MDF. I always use a thickness of ply or OSB when using either "T" or Hurricane nuts.

Also use epoxy not Gorilla glue to hold the nuts in

Robert_CA

Stunt Coordinator
I used the hurricane nuts on my sub but I mounted them from the back side of the baffle. Never had a problem.

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
When I've used them, I also have mounted them on the inside of the baffle (used epoxy), and it was 1/2" ply on the inside of the 3/4" MDF. I like threaded inserts better, BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks