What's new

Hunter S. Thompson's "The Rum Diary" (1 Viewer)

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Harsh words were spoken, as I recall, and several suites had to be closed off, on a max-capacity weekend. ... There was a flashy convention of Gucci executives, a movie-crew busily filming the last days of Warren Zevon, and a profoundly violent gathering of famous actors and huge dogs who were here to launch the production of a gamey film called "The Rum Diary" in 2003.
This was the reason for my own participation, if only because I wrote the book. Johnny Depp was here, along with Benecio Del Toro, Nick Nolte, and the goofy child prodigy Josh Hartnett of "Black Hawk Down" fame. ... The idea was to meet and quarrel calmly for two or three days during the final weekend of the World Series.
http://espn.go.com/page2/s/thompson/021028.html
Well, I guess this is in production right now. I never read the book, but how does it compare to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"? I like the fact that Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are in it. Is Terry Gilliam directing this one?

Jean-Michel

Supporting Actor
Well, I guess this is in production right now. I never read the book, but how does it compare to "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"? I like the fact that Johnny Depp and Benicio Del Toro are in it. Is Terry Gilliam directing this one?
The film has been sort of off and on again because Shooting Gallery (the original producers) couldn't get the funds together, or something, prompting this angry letter from HST. Last I heard two smaller outfits (FilmEngine and Kingsgate Films) were handling it. I haven't heard anything about a director but I sincerely doubt it will be Gilliam.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks